bruce peel and stick parquet info

Old 06-03-02, 09:44 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bruce peel and stick parquet info

does anyone have any experience with this floor? we pulled up the carpet in the bedrooms of our house and found glue down parquet floor (30 year old house). the floors are in good shape, although they will need a refinishing shortly. the parquet is only located in the rooms though, so we'd like to install parquet in other areas of the house. we found that the bruce peel and stick parquet matches the existing floor best. my only concern is my dog. he weighs about 70 lbs. he doesn't scratch the bedroom floos too badly, barely noticable. but he doesn't run or jump around in the bedrooms as much as in the open area of the den. i know there is a good change he will scratch the bruce floor. what i want to know is is the bruce more fragile the the existing floor? will he totally destroy the new floor? (we will have area rugs). it's a den, and will see the most traffic and use than any other room in the house, so we need something that will last. i've been told by my wife that carpet is out of the question, and tile is ok, but since we have the wood... i have a sample piece, guess i could scratch it to see how much force is neccessary...

any ideas or suggestions???

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-02, 09:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Parquet flooring

"Parquet:
This is the least expensive wood floor. It is put together like a jig saw puzzle. Multiple pieces of wood approximately 5/16" thick by 1" wide by 6" long are fit together in various arrangements to make a standard 12" by 12" tile. The designs can run from very common to very complex. All parquet floors are designed to be glued down either on grade or above grade.

Why choose parquet? · Price: standard parquet patterns offer the lowest price for a real wood floor and the product is widely available.

Installation: relatively straight forward glue down installation, easy for the DIY· If your sub floor in very uneven, this floor will "bend" with most bumps in your sub. It is quite forgiving. Can be install above and below ground.

Why would you NOT choose parquet? Appearance. This is a very busy looking floor, with the grain changing direction frequently. Is that the look you want? More importantly, in the construction of this type of floor, it is difficult to get every piece in the puzzle to fit perfectly tight with its partner. Cracks in the floor are very common. The home owner must be particularly diligent in preventing water from penetrating below the surface. This can cause the tiles to lift and/or discolour!"
Wood Flooring Terminology and Basic Definitions. LaCasse. Retrieved 04 June 2002. http://www.woodsthebest.com/Flooring/Flooring_Defin.htm

Refinishing of wood laminated products may be a problem if the veneer layer is very thin. A 1/8" veneer layer is preferred. Better wood floor products have finish warranties as long as 25+ years. No manufacturer offers a warranty that covers scratches caused by use and abuse and pets.

Adhesion of self-stick products may also be a problem if manufacturer's recommended surface preparation is not strictly followed. Most self-stick installations fail due to improper surface prep and moisture problems.

You would follow the same basic installation guidelines as for vinyl stick tiles. Click the following for helpful installation tips:
http://www.doityourself.com/vinylfloors/ Acclimation of the product to the jobsite is important so that flooring can adjust to temperature and humidity of the home.