Taping Seams of Cork Underlayment?

Old 06-06-02, 09:41 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Taping Seams of Cork Underlayment?

Ií m going to install a cork underlayment to my plywood subfloor this weekend, so that I can FINALLY install some Brazillian Cherry strip flooring that has been sitting around the house for the last 3 months.

The cork is Jelinekís QuietCork. It comes in 2' x 3' sheets that are 6 mm thick.

I am going to use Bostik's Best to adhere the cork to the subfloor. Bostikís Best will also be used to adhere the Cherry to the cork.

The guy who sold me the cork said that once the cork is glued and rolled, I should tape the seams of with duct tape.

Other documentation that I have read does not mention this step in the installation process, and I am wondering if the tape is necessary. I donít see the purpose. Wonít is cause many slight bumps in the final subfloor, and more importantly, wont it interfere with the bond of the wood floor to the cork?

Thanks- chris

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-02, 03:15 PM
Ken fisher
Visiting Guest
For some reason I've run into some specs from www.wecork.com that mentions the use of tape. I really do not know the reasoning behind it, but followed to the T to insure the warranty was intact. As a side note, believe this or not, I've done some work in a nearby highrise wherby the engineering company would take no excuses for not using it.

Some floors were ripped out...go figure. I have a question for you. Why are you glueing the brazilian cherry over the cork?? Personally, I've never been in your situation before but have experience with cork used as sound control on concrete.

Don't pay attention to the coyote, I'll be around if you have more questions.

Old 06-07-02, 09:58 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. I called the folks @ QuietCork to ask them the rationale for the tape. They told me that if I was going to glue down the floor, I should not tape the seams, because the tape could fail to hold the wood floor to the cork. Basically the adhesive could potentially pull the tape right off the cork. (thatís some strong stuff!) The tape, I was also told, is only necessary when floating a floor, to provide a more uniform surface for the floor to float on. At this point, I am leaning towards skipping the tape, unless I here compelling reasons otherwise. I also have a call into Bostik to get their opinion on the matter.

To answer your question, I decided to install a cork underlayment primarily to provide some cushioning. We have Pergo down in another room, and my wife and I really like the feel of the foam underlayment. Also the room sits atop our den, and I figured a little extra sound protection couldnít hurt.

Thanks again.