Please... tell me I don't have to scrape it up!

Old 06-15-02, 11:04 AM
Tonie
Visiting Guest
Please... tell me I don't have to scrape it up!

Hello all! HELP! ; )

We have ripped up all flooring in our home to find wavy, troweled, tarry-looking adhesive that my SO believes is asbestos. Our home was built in the 70's, so probably not, but I REALLY don't want to scrape it up, either way!

We wanted to paint over it or seal it since we won't be putting in the flooring soon. We also want to be sure it's safe.

What do we use to seal it? Would a porch paint alone work or do we need a special "bonding primer" so that a colored paint will stick to it? (I'm painting the floor afterwards...call me crazy, but I need color!)

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Tonie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-02, 01:16 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing adhesive from wood floor

It is recommended that floor coverings and adhesives containing asbestos not be disturbed. If removal is necessary, a certified remover should be used. A test can be done to determine if asbestos is present.

http://www.doityourself.com/home-safety/asbestos.htm

Floors containing asbestos should be encapsulated with a new floor covering.

Painting over adhesive can be a recipe for disaster. Poor surface preparation can result in paint failure. Read and follow label directions carefully for surface preparation for primer/sealer and paint.

A heat gun and scraper are recommended for adhesive removal, that is if it does not contain asbestos. Residue can be removed with a stripper.

Old 06-20-02, 08:53 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had a similiar problem with a basement family room. Fortunately, I was planning on recovering with ceramic tile. I tried to scape it up, then belt sand. I got off as much as I could, then used thinset morter to set the tiles. It came out fine. I agree with the previous post that you want to be sure it's not asbestos.

I hear that there is a stripper sold at Lowes or Home Depot, specifically for this adhesive. It's worth checking out.

I wouldn't try painting it. You'll only add the the problems when you put in the final floor. Maybe a temporary carpet?

Old 06-20-02, 09:04 AM
Tonie
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Thanks for your help!

It looks like temporary carpeting is the best idea!

I'd definitely rather save up for a professional job than mess it all up for the future, not to mention the safety issues. I hate wearing respirators, anyway, so no sanding for me!

Temporary carpet, it is!

Thanks!
Tonie