Spots and residue from padding

Old 06-19-02, 09:24 PM
blanston
Visiting Guest
Spots and residue from padding

Hello, I'm new to this. I just removed fifty year old carpeting from a 1910 craftsman with hemlock and douglas fir floors. The floors have the original finish. The red and black chunks in the padding stuck behind especially in the high traffic areas. I brushed the big stuff off, but there are still small tar like pieces stuck to the floor.
I want to keep the original finish in tact. I tried denatured alcohol and it takes everything up, mineral spirits don't do much on the spots, but take up the old wax, simple green takes everything up also. I ended up doing more with soap and water, making sure not to let it sit on the surface, but it takes forever.
Is there any easier way? No money to refinish yet. Thanks for any info. John

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-02, 09:18 PM
blanston
Visiting Guest
Never mind, I'm done with it now. It wasn't easy.

Old 06-23-02, 01:03 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing padding from wood floor

What did you use to remove the padding?

Old 06-23-02, 09:36 PM
blanston
Visiting Guest
Soap, water, a sponge with a green pad on it and muscle. The black pieces seemed to have reacted with the old varnish and taken the finish off, but there was no staining by it. I had to scrub the $#%& out of it. I went through several sponges too. Afterwards I scrubbed it down with paint thinner, then put a few coats of wax on the floors and buffed with an electric floor buffer using a towel instead of the pad. They turned out pretty good. It will buy me a year until refinishing. Hope this helps. Gurn

Old 06-23-02, 11:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info

This is a frequent problem. Most forum members post removing pad with scraper, scraping in direction of wood grain and taking care not to damage floors. It is good to know that residue can be removed with soap and water.