Installing a wood floor

Old 06-20-02, 03:31 PM
maf-1
Visiting Guest
Installing a wood floor

Hello, now I'm DREAMING here but someday I would like to install wood floors trough-out my home. I have a partical basement & all my living space is on a cement slab. I thought my only option was to install a floating wood floor ( I believe that is what they are called ). My friend said that a regular wood floor ( the long planks that you nail together ) could be used & it would cost much less. Since I don't know if this is true, I want to ask the experts at DIY. If the floating floor is my only option,are they very difficult to install & would the snap together kind be easier than the kind that needs to be glued?
Any advice would be deeply appreciated & please excuse my ignorance in this matter.
Diane

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-02, 04:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing wood floors

Solid hardwood floors can be installed on concrete above grade. They are not recommended for concrete below grade in basements.

The engineered wood floors can be installed on concrete above and below grade. Forum members tend to favor the floating, snap together installations because they are easier to install.

Flooring manufacturers tend to produce good, better, best quality and warranty levels. Pricing reflects this. I have seen engineered wood products that cost more than "real" solid hardwood flooring.

For installing wood floors:
http://www.installingwoodfloors.com/

Each engineered wood floor manufacturer tends to have its own specific installation instructions which must be carefully followed to maintain product warranties.

Before installing on concrete, you need to address any moisture issues.

Old 06-21-02, 05:39 PM
maf-1
Visiting Guest
Installing wood floors

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you answer & shall keep the website you provided in case I am able to do this project.
Diane