Anyone else play/played sports??

Old 06-26-03, 01:08 PM
Question Anyone else play/played sports??

OK,
who else out there is a frustrated woulda been/coulda been professional athlete? i swear if rollerblades were invented 10 years earlier, i would be almost at the end of a great NHL career!!! just imagine an american born player ranked w/ other usa products like Brian Leetch, Mike Richter, and John LeClair!!!!

ive been playing hockey since i saw my cousins (older) play it in the street in front of my aunts house. maybe it was that they were older and were allowed to play in the street, matbe it was the way the guys all got along despite what happened in the game, im not quite sure but this game has consumed me since i was maybe 10 years old. in NJ back then the rangers were the only game in town and i still suffer thru the seasons with them, longing for another 1994, almost 10 years ago when all ranger fans lost their voices for a couple of days due to all the screaming after "we" won it after 54 years!!!!!!!!

any way i digress...i started playing organized in junior high w/ bunch of friends in the neighborhood, and actually started skating at the ripe old age of 13. i wasnt very good, so i stuck to foot hockey, and even played in a league we had in high school. then college came!!! I went to LIU, and met other players on the intramural league. got my first pair of blades in 1984, and havent looked back. been playng in organized leagues since. had my own team that i captained for 10 years. well that all fell apart and i thankfully got picked up by a team that was looking for a cagey ol veteran to help out. been with them for about a year or 2 now and we won the championship this past season.

now that you know the back story its time for the crux of the matter: this past season its been tough for the old man (me) to keep off the IR(injured reserve). its gotted tougher and tougher, and i thought my career was over. took half of this season off and was really missing playing in a big way. one night last week i dreamt i was playing hockey all night, and the next morning i decided i was gonna make a comeback. the last time i left the rink in disgust, w/ a sprained knee and a torn hamstring

it turned out i ended up going back on a sunday with another game the next night. i figured i wouldn't make the first period anyway, but WTH, might as well give it anither try B4 throwin myself on the scrapheap. well to make a long story even longer, we won both games 8-6 and 8-5, i played both on defense, a tough position, and only allowed 2 total goals on my shifts and we scored 6 goals one shorthanded!!!

this is kinda huge to me and i appreciate anyone still reading this!!!you have no idea how great i feel after this, cause the 37th year just went by and seeing as im the 2nd oldest on the team im glad to be able to contribute even tho im sure the warranty on my parts is long expired!!

any one else play/ed any sports??

anyone in similar situation??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-03, 03:34 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Great post!!

We played a family game of lazer tag this week...and @ 41 I as amazed that I got high score ( nearly killed me!! )

Glad to see your still playing a great Canadian game at 37!!

More power to you!!

jeff.

Old 06-26-03, 03:38 PM
BTW no offense meant toward the Great White North!!! i have relatives in Oshawa, and am jealous that hockey was established when my cousins from Canada were in high school. down here the rinks were few and far between and over the last 15 years or so the sport has really taken off!!! i feel like i missed the boat!!

but im glad for the moments of glory i still have!!!!

Old 06-26-03, 03:43 PM
I refereed soccer for 14 years and was at the college level at 50.

Old 06-26-03, 04:26 PM
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
I play ice hockey as well. I always wanted to as a kid, did a lot of pond hockey. I was the kid with the Modells figure skates that he got for Xmas playing. But couldn't really play any organized as a kid due to financials. I started playing organized at 26 years old. I am now 35 years old. I play approximately 60 organized games a year in the mens league I belong to. I also skate pickup at least once a week. I have gone to a couple of Adult hockey camps in Lake Placid as well. I am definitely a frustrated could/should have been. I skate with kids almost half my age all the time. I am the old man. I am not a gym guy and hockey "evens" me out. Right now I have been playing the last six months with a torn medial meniscus in my right knee. Got to have surgery but have been putting it off. I have my share of sprains, pulls, strains, etc. I have only lost one tooth from getting a stick in the mouth. As I get older the more stretching I have to do before and after, but it still feels great. It is really great playing pick up sometimes and playing with a kid that plays junior B or a division 2 school. They will then ask me what school I play for-the look on their face is priceless when I tell them my age. I have seen first hand what it takes to become a professional hockey player and it looks easy but they sacrifice so much. I am happy being a legend in my own mind. By the way jeff1 isn't lacrosse the national game of Canada. and Happy Canada Day isnt that coming up soon. So fatkid you are not alone.

Old 06-26-03, 05:20 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

but im glad for the moments of glory i still have!!!!
You should be!!

I refereed soccer for 14 years and was at the college level at 50
Yikes!! I umpired baseball up to the fastball ( teens ) for 12 years and couldn't take the crud from the parents anymore!! I am glad you have thicker skin that I did!!

They will then ask me what school I play for-the look on their face is priceless when I tell them my age.
LOL!!

By the way jeff1 isn't lacrosse the national game of Canada
It might be...but I only know the music to "Hockey Night in Canada"...

Lacrosse, hockey and baseball have lost many players in the last 10 years to soccer leagues!!

Happy Canada Day isnt that coming up soon
Thankx!!
Yes it is eh...July 1st next Tues.

jeff.

Old 06-26-03, 05:29 PM
I took up skateboarding again at 39

Old 06-27-03, 07:11 AM
i cant begin to tell you how great it is when after a game the wife asks how we did, and i tell her its rough skating w/ all those 17 & 18 yo's. this is the point where she says "well, you know, you ARE twice their age!" ...

CRIMINY!!! why dont you just kick me in the belly next time, that might not hurt as bad!!!LOL

Where's that Ben-gay??

looks like the girls will be taking up soccer in the fall. they seem to be into it even tho they're still liddle!!

Old 06-27-03, 09:37 AM
i play hockey as well. did so in highschool and college. now play just in the winter once a week. great game!!!!!!!!!!

i'd encourage any parent to get their kids into hockey. it can be a little expensive but there is used equip available and some of the large sporting good stores offer affordable equip.

anyone else break a stick a game? i'm not mcminnis firing 100 mph shots on goal!! my teammates think i am jinxed - i get pissed because of the money wates. i switched back to aluminum and it lasted fo rhte last three games - i hope all next year too. i tried a composite and i shattered it.

Old 06-27-03, 11:20 AM
maybe the stick is too long?!?!?

you've been playing as long as i have, im sure you know the deal, but i havent broken a shaft in a looooong time. course most of my shots are wristers and backhands, and come from in close as i normally play wing, but this season ive been back on "D". i have an aluminum and a carbon comp. shaft that i currently use (both eastons), and the only things that break on them is the blades, $10 US, and a propane torch, and im back in business(been known to do this on the bench between shifts!!! )!!!

Hey a coupla more players and we have enuff for a line!!!(no goalie as usual...whats the deal w/ those guys )!!

Daniel: skateboarding?? are you nuts those things are dangerous!!! was too much of a wuss to try that even as a kid!!! I think it was fear of road rash!!!

Old 06-27-03, 02:52 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Daniel: skateboarding?? are you nuts those things are dangerous!!! was too much of a wuss to try that even as a kid!!! I think it was fear of road rash!!!
I agree!!

jeff.

Old 07-03-03, 11:20 AM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
I played fast-pitch softball for 6 yrs.... does that count?

my hubby used to razz me about it not counting because in his opinion it wasnt as hard as baseball (he played) until he tried to hit a fast pitch softball at practice one day.. have not heard anything but "glad i dont have to do that" since

Old 07-03-03, 04:54 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

have not heard anything but "glad i dont have to do that" since
LOL!!

One of the worst pitches to hit for me was the blooper ball...comes in such and angle and tough to hit!

I played fast-pitch softball for 6 yrs....
Did you quit?

jeff.

Old 07-03-03, 05:10 PM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
yeah i was one of those statistics ... the teenage pregnancy ones i had to quit my senior yr.

blooper ball... i think you might mean slow pitch ... up way high then they come down in the strike zone

Old 07-03-03, 06:25 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

blooper ball... i think you might mean slow pitch ... up way high then they come down in the strike zone
One in the same...that's it...I umpired kids playing this as well, ball had to go 8 feet in the air to be a fair ball pitch.

jeff.

Old 07-03-03, 08:05 PM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
lol yeah .. i dunno if i could hit a slow pitch ... fast pitch is what i played... and what my hubby couldnt hit lol (gotta rub that in there isnt much he cant do)

Search this Thread