Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Outdoor Activities > Sports
Reload this Page >

Can you remove the rubber hole on a football and put it back?

Old 05-01-05, 11:00 AM
metomeyo
Visiting Guest

I was wondering if you could remove the rubber hole of a football without harming it, and then put it back.

Its for a science project. I need to fill it with sand, and if I could, put the rubber piece back and fill the rest of it with air to keep its shape and make it firm.

Old 05-01-05, 02:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
metomeyo, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Very interesting question. Is the "hole" you are referring to, the hole where you fill it with air? If so, nope. That hole is just a part of the rubber bladder that shapes and holds the air in a football. Not removable. Can you still fill it with sand? YUP. Get silica sand. It is very fine grains. Cut the end of an air-fill needle off and make you a funnel to pour the sand into the threaded end of the needle. It will NOT be fast, but will work. When you have the amount of sand in that you want, screw the pump onto the needle and finish filling. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-02-05, 10:22 AM
metomeyo
Visiting Guest
Wow, that is smart. I kinda feel like an idiot not thinking to do that (I almost didn't post and just was going to ripe that rubber piece out. man I would have hated myself). But what do you think would make a good funnel? I'll pretty much have to decrease to the size of a pinehead or so.....

Old 05-03-05, 09:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Maybe you can find one of those cone shaped paper cups that come on water jugs for sports teams. That way you can cut off the point of the cup to the fullest size possible and even tape it to the needle. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: