Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Outdoor Activities > Sports
Reload this Page >

inherited some golf clubs - now what, need to be longer ??

Old 06-14-09, 07:44 PM

I recently got a nice set of clubs from my Father In law ( ping irons ) and A big bertha driver set, I am about 6'04 and need the clubs lengthened ?? the shafts on the pings are carbon fiber ( it looks like ?? ) and I think the others might be aluminum.
where do I go from here, can a pro shop add extensions under the grips and just re-grip these clubs, they now have sentimental value and I think I would like to pick up playing here or there.....

what would I expect to pay for this service

thanks...Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-09, 07:04 PM
no one plays golf ?????

is this in the correct forum ???

Old 07-05-09, 08:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A local driving range may have someone who can help you with this. I just go to driving ranges for anger therapy. It really works and it is a lot cheaper than some class for anger management. Cost may depend on where you live. If not a driving range, check golf course shops. They should be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction. Sorry, but this is my first time in this section in the 4 or so years that I joined.

Old 07-05-09, 09:54 AM
some golf clubs - now what, need to be longer ??

You can't make them longer.

Despite your height, they may not be too short for your swing. Take them to a course and get a lesson while hitting and ask the pro what length you should have. Depending on the heads, they may to be adjusted for a different lie depending on your stance, address and swing. All pros like to sell clubs, but they do know what will work in a pinch and may be able to some adjusting. Some cast heads often are difficult or impossible to adjust.

Old 07-05-09, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
You can't make them longer.
well in the 3 weeks I was waiting for a response I decided to search around the net a little, why ask in a DIY forum, ........what was I thinking..... , maybe just hoping for some positive tips before searching for the golf noob forums and asking questions.

please tell me why I can't make them longer, several sites were a lot more help than here.

Golf Clubs Lengthened - golftuitiononline.com
How to lengthen your golf clubs

Old 07-07-09, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, you can make your clubs longer. Is it a good idea? Probably not unless the clubs you inherited are relativley new or have sentimental value. If you are handy you can buy the materials and do the work, or get a price from a pro shop. When I looked at it 15+ years ago it was not cheap and I was better off to just buy new clubs the proper size.

Old 07-07-09, 03:36 PM

I assumed you were a golfing fanatic and wanted total performance from the clubs. That is why I did not suggest trying to lengthening that type of shaft.

You can always buy new shafts to replace the old shafts. It is really not that difficult to remove the old heads, replace the shafts and install new grips. The only trick is to find the right length and shaft type (there are 100's of good ones) AND the right loft and lie.

Otherwise, just give the existing clubs a fair try including a lesson or two.

Dick