Q for the golf pro's...

Old 07-30-09, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Q for the golf pro's...

Okay, I've only been playing golf off and on for about 30 years (met my future wife that way), but have never played a 27 hole facility. So here's the question: On a 27 hole course do you pick a single nine-hole and go the loop twice or pick two different loops of which there would be 3 combinations. Going to be playing a 27 hole course middle of August during a weekend getaway with wife for her birthday and don't want to sound like a rube when I call for the starting time. Presumably if it's one of the combinations they will ask when I call? Seems like keeping things straight at the turn would be a traffic nightmare (although not so much the middle of summer around here), but I assume the course would know what it was doing in that vein. BTW, here's the course:

Oak Ford Golf Club the way Florida Golf should be

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-09, 03:17 PM
Not a pro anymore than you are but have played some courses that have 27 holes. You will play 2 different nines. Do some research on the 2 nines you'll want to play and request them when you make the tee time. There always seems to be 1 nine that nobody wants to play, so if you don't request what you want, you'll likely wind up with the nine nobody else wants to play.

Hitem straight if you can.

Old 07-30-09, 03:20 PM
Hey I just checked out the link you provided. I'd find out which nine has them big nasty looking alligators and avoid that nine for sure.

Looks like a real nice course, enjoy.

Old 07-30-09, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks. Been researching reviews looking for a nice course not too far from downtown Sarasota and had three finalists. This one looked very nice. Hadn't thought about the best combination question, but may have to just roll the dice; not sure how I would find out but will keep it in mind. Probably doesn't matter about the gators since they move from water hole to water hole liable to see them anywhere. Best thing playing this time of year is prices are down and so is the crowd. Just have to get an early start to avoid heat index later in day. Doing another golf outing (warm-up for the birthday weekend round) this weekend with younger brother and wife up in the Clearwater area, Chi Chi Rodriguez course:

Chi Chi's Foundation: Tour Our Golf Course

Old 08-01-09, 12:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Thanks. Been researching reviews looking for a nice course not too far from downtown Sarasota and had three finalists.
Is that Tommy Armour(was that it? ) course still there at Sarasota? That was where I was hitting the balls over the driving range fence, onto the course.

I wonder what a round of golf costs now, down in that neck of the woods?

And are those 27 hole courses short or long courses(or can be either?)?

Some of those courses down their cater to the 90 year old geezers - those par 3 jobbies.

Be careful, in your old age, and do a lot of practice swinging before you start, so you do not dislocate your hip or shoulder by trying to knock the cover off the ball.

Have fun!!!!

Old 09-19-09, 12:43 PM
TowGuy - My home course is a 27 holer. When it's busy the pro shop will put out foursomes on the "better" 2 of the 3 nines and the other 9 is pretty much reserved for people playing 9 holes, singles working on their game etc. Think of it as an 18 hole course with another 9 for the people that don't fit in.

Old 09-19-09, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Late report. Had a great time. They had 9 holes closed for maintenance, so no choice. Really nice course, no parallel fairways. Shot just a little over par.

Old 09-19-09, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since you are in Florida, I do not know if you have ever experienced this: But if you hit an iron shot, and you miss the sweet spot, up here in snow country, say early spring or late fall when it is cold out say near freezing - that can make your hands go numb.

Do you have one of those super giant size headed drivers? And do you putt the conventional style, or use one of those long putters?