Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Recreational Outdoor Activities > Sports
Reload this Page >

Professional team names and movement

Old 10-28-09, 06:30 PM

Since we are now in the combination of the baseball, football, hockey and basketball it seems like the movement of teams has been very interesting if you follow sports and the history. The following is some of what I have discovered. I am sure there are other stories that I missed. At least they do not move college teams.

Did you know that the Rams football team was originally the Cleveland Rams, then the Los Angeles Rams (which never could never really win the big ones) and ultimately became the St. Louis Rams. I sort of remember a St. Louis Cardinals or may that have originally been the Chicago Cardinals that ultimately have gone to Arizona?

At one time, St. Paul was the prime minor league for the Brooklyn Dodgers and Minneapolis was the prime Giant farm team (where Willie Mays played before going up early with a .475 batting average). It was rumored that the Dodgers were moving to St. Paul and the Giants to Minneapolis. Actually, the St. Paul minor team had crowds that equaled the Brooklyn parent. About a year later, the Dodgers left Brooklyn quickly and moved to Los Angeles and the Giants moved to San Francisco. Ultimately, the Washington Senators moved to play in the Twin Cities as the Minnesota Twins.

Minneapolis had a NBA basketball team called the Lakers that won quite a few championships and the became the Los Angeles Lakers. Ironically, the top guard for the Minneapolis team was Bud Grant (also an All Pro receiver for the Philadelphia Eagles) that became a winning coach of the Minnesota Vikings after also being a pitcher in professional baseball.

I know the Colts moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis, but do not know where the Baltimore Colts started. Where did the Ravens come from or where they an expansion team?

I think the Philadelphia Athletics moved to Oakland. Was there a move in the middle?

I also seem to remember a "Browns" team that was in either Philadelphia or St. Louis. Was there such a team?

I am sure there are many I missed and/or made errors on. Please fill me in.

Dick

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-09, 08:11 AM
If memory serves me right, the Philadelphia Athletics became the Kansas City Athletics before ultimately moving to Oakland.

Old 10-29-09, 06:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since I am Eau Claire man......this piece of history may be of interest to some of you:

Hank Aaron Statue, Carson Park, Eau Claire, WI

Old 10-29-09, 06:18 PM
The Tennessee Titans were the Houston Oilers, right?

And the Utah Jazz, came from New Orleans?

Old 10-30-09, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
The Tennessee Titans were the Houston Oilers, right?

And the Utah Jazz, came from New Orleans?
Beer 4U2 YEP.... I went to the Super Dome and saw PistoLLLLLLLL Pete play for the Jazz back in the 70's.

Old 10-30-09, 05:07 PM
Gqlefty, back in the early 70's a friend from college was visiting me in Atlanta. He asked if I knew where a certain hotel was, and of course I did. We went there, got off the elevator and he knocked on the door. I nearly fell over....Pete. He and Pete were from the same home town. Man what an evening! He was very personable, baggy socks and all.

Old 10-30-09, 07:15 PM

I really missed the Athletics transitions and movements.

I also forgot about the Boston Braves to Milwaukee (maybe that is why there is a Hank Aaron monument in Eau Claire) I never did see it near the river, but it seems to make sense. Is there also one to Eddie Mathews? Then the Braves went to Atlanta and the Milwaukee Brewers were created from somewhere, which is a better or more descriptive name.

I also forget about H. Lamar Hunt moving from Texas to Kansas City to become the K.C. Chiefs. I went to college with Bobby Bell, who went from lineman to an All-Pro linebacker with the Chiefs.

What ever happened to the baseball Browns? ... And where did the K.C. Royals come from? - expansion?

For me, the basketball teams have more frequent moves and name changes than the baseball or footbal teams. - It is all interesting, but complicated by the expansion, diluting of talent and free agency.

On a single athlete basis there are also many changes that have happened. A few years ago there was a wide reciver called Bobbie More for Seattle(?) that had some problems (discipline, training, etc.). Later, he popped up in Minnesota and went under Bud Grant and became Ahmad Rashad, who made him wear black football shoes and put his helmet over his heart during the Star Spangled Banner, set many records, took up tennis and community affairs, married Felicia from the old Cosby show and then went on to became a TV commentator. - Often a change in scenery can be an improvement of a new life.

The old Chicago Bears (George Hallas) had a big rivalry in the early days with the Duluth Eskimos from the northern fringe of civilization at the time. Later, some of the money behind the original start of a new NFL teams (the Vikings) came from the previous Duluth Eskimo team sponsors. The changes never seem to end.

Where did the LA Clippers go?

Dick

Old 11-01-09, 04:17 PM
Smile Pistol Pete

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Gqlefty, back in the early 70's a friend from college was visiting me in Atlanta. He asked if I knew where a certain hotel was, and of course I did. We went there, got off the elevator and he knocked on the door. I nearly fell over....Pete. He and Pete were from the same home town. Man what an evening! He was very personable, baggy socks and all.
Yea..... "The Pistol" was ahead of his time. He was knocking down 3's before there was such a thing!!! What he could do with the ball was unreal. Practiced 5 and 6 hours a day. A guy asked him why did he practice so much? He said, "I didn't make to the NBA by just wishing for it". He was a unique individual. He died at 38 yrs. old playing a BB game with friends.

Old 11-01-09, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I think it was just a pick up game....nothing special. Just his time, but what a career!!