Can't figure this out

Old 11-13-10, 01:16 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can't figure this out

Why do people - LOTS of people - go to outdoor games (like football) in cold, rain and snow....and cloudy/depressing? ??? Wait in line, to go to the toilet. Waste money on exhorbitant charges for food and drink.

This would be shear torture to me. I feel pain, actual pain, from cold raindrops hitting my skin. I don't get it? Or are this many people this tough? And/or are this many people more genetically predisposed to be socialites, where they are attracted to being amongst masses of people?

Why did I post this today? Because one of the guys I work for went, like 200 miles, to go see a college game. And it is miserable up here today - cold(low 30's),wet, rainy,snow that melted to slush. Give me my cozy house, heat, access to fridge and bathroom. Ahhhhhh.

So. Would you go? Or stay home, like me?

Old 11-14-10, 04:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
That's an easy one for me I don't care much for ball sports so I'd stay home...... but if it was racing, I might go although I've always figured I have a better seat at the house, close to the snack bar and no line to restroom

Old 11-14-10, 03:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You will not get me out of the house for anything other than hockey. OK, I suppose if I had a good group of friends you could get me bundled up for any kind of weather for a football game (as long as someone else was driving). The weather and cold do not bother me. It's the sitting in a traffic jam for an hour just to get out of the parking lot and then the long drive home.

I still recall my first NASCAR race. What I thought were good seats somewhat close down in front (OK, stop laughing) turned out to be not so great. My face was burned from the bits of rubber hitting for several hours and every time a chicken bone hit me in the back of the head I turned around to hit someone only to see a thousand staring back at me.

Old 11-20-10, 12:35 PM
E
Originally Posted by marksr
That's an easy one for me I don't care much for ball sports so I'd stay home...... but if it was racing, I might go although I've always figured I have a better seat at the house, close to the snack bar and no line to restroom
What kind of racing do you like? Hopefully it does not snow during such a race, as it can at football games. Brrrrrr. Hate the cold and hate the heat. In fact, I get in such a knot when too cold, I can't think straight. I will sometimes plug in a cube heater even, while working on some furnace that went out on some cold winter night, just because I can think better.

Old 11-20-10, 12:40 PM
E
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
The weather and cold do not bother me. .
You must be like that neighbor kid I saw today that was outside in his shorts, on this cold, damp, 24 degree morning. Number one - I can't imagine. Number 2, it sort of disgusts me because it makes me seem like a wuss. I had my tee shirt on, insulated flannel shirt on, hoody on with hood on, and jacket on....and jeans....and I was still cold.

Old 11-20-10, 12:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
"What kind of racing do you like?"

NASCAR, I'm partial to stock cars but basically any form of racing that involves the internal combustion engine

Old 11-20-10, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Only reason I ever went to outdoor/cold sports was to be able to snuggle in the blanket with my honey of the moment. That'll warm you up just fine.

Now I deal with sitting at a track in full sun at 95 degrees or more.

Old 11-20-10, 02:04 PM
On December 11 there will be an outdoor college hockey game (traditional conditions) between Michigan and Michigan State in the Michigan stadium. The 112,000 tickets are sold. They are praying for snow and not rain. - About 3 weeks to level the field and make the ice.

I will watch it on TV.

My racing is limited to dirt/short tracks and Formula 1 and hate NASCAR because it lacks no skill to drive a tank. Both are done for the year. Formula 1 races in the rain and over curbs, but never has to race in cold conditions because the countries with money buy their one race a year. My personal watching for dirt/short tracks is in the summer on week ends and my Formula 1 is usually on TV at 1:00AM or 6:30 Am (depending on the country) because I do not have money ($300 -$500/seat) on pull to get one because they are usually sold 2 to 5 years ahead. - You see it better on TV, but miss the crowds and everything else going on. Too bad the U.S. lost their race buy others outbidding for the rights.

Dick

Old 11-20-10, 07:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
My favorite is the NHL's Winter Classic. Probably one of the few sporting events on my list to see.

Old 11-21-10, 05:43 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'm like Marksr. I like left turn racing. I used to live close to Atlanta Raceway, and went whenever I could. Then I discovered the pits. My friends took their RV's and spent days there. Convenient restroom, refrigerator, snacks. Get on top of the RV and see the entire race circle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: