Volleyball Net Modification

Old 06-26-12, 02:11 AM
Volleyball Net Modification

I want to modify my outdoor volleyball net. The link below has some pictures of what I have. There are some better close up pictures of what the top of the poles look like under the PDF file "Sectrum Series Instructions" in "Resources/Links". All i want to do is replace the black rope inside the top part of the net with steel cable. This will prevent sagging in the middle of the net. I already bought the steel cable, its about the the same diameter of the black rope. What else do i need to buy and do in order to attach the steel cable to this net? I want to be able to tighten and loosen the cable whenever i need to without having to pull down on the guy wires too much for tension on the net. Let me know if you need me to provide more information

2" Telescopic poles, 2-piece "Aircraft-Aluminum"
3'x32' Professional sleeve net with 3" bindings

Park & Sun Sports® - Volleyball Net System - Spectrum™ Classic

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-12, 05:18 AM
Group Moderator
I'd say that you probably need some wire cable clamps and a turnbuckle that has an eye on one side and a hook on the other.

You'd run the cable through the clamp, through the eye, then loop it back through the clamp again, and tighten the clamp.

I made a set similar to that out of pvc pipe when I was a teenager and I don't recall adding the steel cable. Tightening the guy wire was always enough, although I did alter the design a bit. I'd put additional tension on the guy wires by drawing them together slightly with a bungee cord (roughly level with the middle of the poles) then I'd hook another bungee from the middle of the pole to the middle of the first bungee. It provided support to the middle joint of the poles. I also set the poles over the top of a stake so that once set, they couldn't move.

Old 06-26-12, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Be careful with the steel cable in the top sleeve. Having it very taut will really hurt on a missed spike. Wrists don't flex very well.