carpenter ants ... Terro=Antex?

Old 12-09-02, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
carpenter ants ... Terro=Antex?

Is this an unusual time of year to be finding carpenter ants in one's home? I'm in Ontario, my weather has been typically 10 degrees Fahrenheit or cooler for weeks now. I was seeing maybe one or two ants per day for the past week. Then from Saturday onward, I appear to have been invaded - I'm seeing (and usually killing) about 100 per day.

I've read a lot of posts which mention some success with the bait "Terro". I can't seem to find that, so I'm wondering if it is just another Borax-mixture bait? I'm presently using a product called "Antex" marketed by Wilson, says the Borax content is 5.4%. Does anyone know if that's similar to Terro?

Thanks!

Old 12-09-02, 09:22 AM
T
Carpenter Ant Control

Terro also contains a boric acid additive.

Copy and paste the following URLs to learn more about carpenter ants and their control.

www.bugspray.com

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruct/ef603.htm

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1015.html

Carpenter Ants During Winter

In almost all cases, carpenter ants seen indoors during winter are an indication that there is an inside nest. One exception is when ants are brought indoors in firewood. Workers from firewood are not able to start nests in homes, nor do they damage wood structures in buildings.

Workers may become active during winter if the nest receives sufficient warmth from sunlight, mild outdoor temperatures, or from indoor heat. It is not clear whether just a few workers break dormancy or the entire nest becomes active. When ants are active during winter they will forage at night, searching for moisture. It is common for a home dweller to enter a room early in the morning, turn on the lights, and see ants scurrying for cover. Common places to sight them are cabinets, sinks, dishwashers, rolled-up towels, bathroom tubs, sink and toilet areas, or other places where moisture is abundant. On a bright sunny day, ants may be seen walking randomly through different areas of the house.

It is also possible for a carpenter ant nest to exist in a house during winter but not be noticed. If the nest exists at a site that does not receive sufficient indoor heat or sunshine, e.g. a north-facing outside wall, the ants will remain dormant until spring.

Carpenter Ants
Jeffrey Hahn, Colleen Cannon, and Mark Ascerno
University of Minnesota Extension Service
Retrieved 09 December 2002
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1015.html

Old 12-09-02, 10:43 AM
Thanks -- I believe I'm eventually going to have to call in a pro for this one. I don't know if I have the patience to wait for the Antex to do it's work. I dislike sharing my house with all these critters. The Antex seemed to get rid of them in the spring/early summer this year - but the past few days I'm seeing far more of them than I ever did back in the spring.

Old 12-09-02, 11:06 AM
T
Carpenter ant control

Make sure you don't have a moisture problem somewhere. Carpenter ants and other insects tend to be attracted to moisture.

Old 12-09-02, 04:40 PM
moisture

Yeah, that's the weird thing. I don't *appear* to have a moisture problem anywhere. I'll certainly keep looking though. But I've only been in this house for nine months - the previous owners may have had a longstanding relationship with the ants, which would not be a good thing! The other weird thing (to me) is the suddenness with which this latest bunch of ants has decided to make themselves 'seen'. Can't figure that out.

Old 12-10-02, 04:33 AM
T
Carpenter ants

If they established a nest in your walls before cold weather set in and the nest is located on the side of the house that gets heated by the afternoon sun, then it's possible they get warmed up and start prowling about?

Old 04-24-03, 10:20 AM
ants are back in town?

Well my previous invasion appeared to be completely over the day after Christmas '02, and that was just from using the Antex (boric acid). Now today, a few have made an appearance! Geez, I went just four months without seeing any! The battle is on again, I guess!

Old 04-26-03, 10:17 PM
M

Hi Kelly. I was also having a problem with them (they were appearing in my living room) and ended up calling an exterminator 2 or 3 weeks ago. Thankfully, I haven't seen one indoors since.

Here's a link to the thread I posted... http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=125179

Good luck!

p.s. I'm in B.C. and was also surprised to find them so early in the year.

Old 06-27-06, 05:11 PM
the ants go marching in

Well, in hindsight my previous place only had a "few" carpenter ants. Just got a new place at the end of February, and this past week the ants made a spectacular entrance. We knew the place had them (the house was a "power of sale"/"bank sale") and we have a pretty good idea where they're coming from -- lots of moisture-damaged wood frames around our rear ANTrance, etc.

However, this past week we appear to have disturbed a major colony. There were thousands of ants pouring out of the wall, what a sight. My question is, we saw *countless* flying ants. My understanding is that these are the queens, but I also thought that each colony only has one queen? Somebody please tell me I'm mistaken? Because we saw *tons* of flying ants/queens. (we made sure to kill every one we saw as well).

Anybody know how many queens the average colony has?

Old 06-27-06, 06:10 PM
R
rpt
Sounds like they're swarming, meaning that the colony has gotten too big. The swarmers are both male and female. Their goal is to reproduce and start a new colony. If you have swarmers inside, chances are the colony is inside also. Late spring to early summer is the normal time to swarm.

Old 06-28-06, 03:58 PM
T
Carpenter ants typically have a parent colony and several satellite colonies. A satellite colony does not require moisture because it contains no eggs, thus it is possible to have carpenter ants without moisture issues. The parent colony may be located outdoors in a decaying stump or tree.

Locating the colonies is recommended for control. They forage between sunset and midnight, so that's the best time to check for activity and follow them to nests.

Old 07-07-06, 04:28 PM
Thanks for your input. So far, there's been no additional *visible* activity. I've been diligently putting out my borax stuff for the critters which I've had good luck with in the past. The big chore now is to replace the rotted wood that we're already aware of.

Old 08-11-06, 02:17 PM
queenshawtii
Visiting Guest
what borax stuff are you using terro/antex or something else? On top of the yellow jackets in my room we seem to have an indoor carpenter ant nest i've seen huge ants and little ants so i'm assuming there are eggs in our house..

Old 08-20-06, 06:38 AM
I never could find Terro. I used Antex most of the time. Now I can no longer find that. Now I'm using CIL's liquid ant killer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: