Do I have termites?

Old 04-10-04, 11:55 AM
spikoman
Visiting Guest
Do I have termites?

Hi there,

I was doing some cleaning and I found some crap(?) on the floor. Upon closer inspection, I also found a hole on my hardwood floor.

Would someone take a look at the attached picture and tell me what's living in my floor? Also how to get rid of it.

Thank you much,
Mike

Attached Images  
Old 04-10-04, 12:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: spikoman

Based on what is visable in the picture, unless someone was drilling a hole, you got termites...

More visable evidence should or could be found under the subflooring or under the raised floor of the house.

Termites may be located in other areas too. May be several locations. Professional help is advised.

My own termite person stated it best.

"There are only two types of houses." "Those with termites and those that will get termites."... He/she was not fooling or joking.

Termites of all varieties in this area of the country are a constant yearly problem. Also costly....%%%$##@$%$@

To the termites pros profitable delight...

Regards & Good Luck
Web Site Host & Forms Monitor

Old 04-12-04, 07:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beetles

Because of the pellet shaped dust, my guess is you have beetles. Furniture beetle bore dust is cream in colour, is made up of lemon shaped pellets, gritty when rubbed between the fingers. Tunnels 1.0 - 2.0mm in diameter tend to be extensive and run mainly in the direction of the grain, as in your picture. Damage is found typically around floor boards, ceiling battens, timbers in contact with solid walls, under stairs and places affected by dampness and moisture. The deathwatch beetle, a relative of the furniture beetle, also leaves powder outside the holes (frass) which is fine to coarse, many times with small pellets. There are other beetles whose frass may contain pellets. Identification will require the capture of and adult beetle and/or larvae.

Because you are seeing borings accumulating in piles near holes, you have an active infestation that requires treatment. You may see beetles crawling on the wood or you may hear a ticking sound that is made by some larvae. Check attics, crawl spaces , unfinished basements and storage areas for infestation.

The first thing to do is to address moisture issues. Basement should be dry. Crawl spaces should be dry and well-ventilated with vapor retarder over soil. No standing water. Humidity level in the home should be between 30-55%. If above 55%, use a dehumidifer. Make sure gutters & downspouts are clear and all excess water directed away from foundation. Soil should be landscaped to carry excess moisture away from foundation. Cut back overgrown shrubs and trees or remove to allow adequate ventilation around the home.

Borate spray will not be effective on sealed and finished wood. An application of insecticide can kill emerging adult beetles and prevent reinfestation, but it will not kill most insects already present in the wood. The only method that will kill beetles (in any stage) deep inside the wood is fumigation. An inspection by a professional exterminator is recommended to determine extent of infestation within the structure and the appropriate chemical control measure(s).

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-12-04 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-17-04, 11:13 PM
spikoman
Visiting Guest
Thanks Guys. I will have some pro's check it out.

Old 04-18-04, 08:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keep us posted on your results, and don't forget to address moisture issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: