Carpenter Ant questions ?

Old 09-17-05, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpenter Ant questions ?

Which would be a better choice for treating a detached garage for carpenter ants? sevin dust or boric ? I had not seen any other recomendation of using seven dust until reading twelvepole's reponse to another thread about carpenter ants. (I've verified these are ants, not termites. Bent antenea and small waist area)

I've seen some other products such as tri-die and timbor come highly recommended, but I already have the sevin dust on hand or can get boric locally and will use one of those if they are effective.

Also, I think I have located the colony nest in a wood void, do I try to dust right into the nest ? Or just around the area where the workers travel. It's easy to see the path they are using because the walls are open(no sheetrock).

One more question. How long will it take for this to be effective ? And should I redust again after the initial treatment ? I guess that's 2 questions

PS. I like the empty mustard bottle idea for dusting(twelvepole)

As always, Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by gtm20; 09-17-05 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-18-05, 07:03 AM
gtm20,

Also, I think I have located the colony nest in a wood void, do I try to dust right into the nest ?

Yup. That bottle idea is great, blow the dust right in there at them. Half of the battle is actually finding the colony. Once you know where they are - the rest is easy.

Good luck,

Jay

Old 09-18-05, 07:06 AM
Do you think the Sevin dust is OK ?(I already have it), or should I wait and get timbor ?

Thanks.

Old 09-20-05, 06:26 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that product. If it says for ants on the label, then it is all good.

Always read the label before usage.

Jay

Old 09-22-05, 02:38 PM
Sevin does have ants on the label, but I think it is used most often in Veg. gardens.

Old 09-22-05, 04:32 PM
Does it say for indoor use? If it doesn't, I'd find another product to use. We don't use that here in Canada - to the best of my knowledge, so I'm limited in my info for you. Just make sure you use it to the specs of the label. If it is for strictly outside use - you should go get another product.

Jay

Old 09-23-05, 05:31 PM
Thanks Jay, I'll check that(indoor vs outdoor). Or I may just go ahead and order some timbor from the net, it seems to be what is recommended most often.

Old 09-23-05, 06:39 PM
T
Sevin Dust is very effective for carpenter ants. Since the infestation is in a detached garage, there should be no concerns re: indoor use. As with any product, read and follow label directions. For additional information about carpenter ants and their control, go to http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest...ets/004-97.htm

Old 10-03-05, 08:27 PM
whatever chemical you are using read the label, the whole thing. The label will tell you everything!!!!! If you can find the nest with ease use the dust if labeled right on the nest. If you can get ahold of some termidor, use that. works 100% of the time, in three years, never had it fail once. it is a concentrate, so it will needed to be mixed and applied with a sprayer and in my state you need a license to apply it,or buy it, but they sell it on Ebay.
READ THE LABEL WITH ANY PESTICIDES...please

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: