Active termites in back door

Old 06-26-07, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Active termites in back door

A few days ago I discovered (subterranean) termites in my kitchen door. Who knows how long they have been chewing there, it is one of those doors with wooden core and painted metal int. and ext. faces, so I didn't see the damage. It seems that rain had begun a rottening process underneath, which I couldn't see but termites flew to it...

Inspections and expenses aside, can someone tell me if I can still use this door? If it can be fixed, will this be satisfactory and long lasting for an outside door?

I am a single mom on a budget with a full time job, can't probably do it myself beyond oiling the hinges. Who helps with this stuff, and what is reasonable to charge?

How can I tell if the wooden frame is affected without ripping it off? I tried the sounding method to see if somewhere there is hollow, but my ear is not trained and all sounded tha same to me...

Old 06-27-07, 04:09 AM
J
Where are you located?? We only have subterranean termites here, so flying is not an issue, they always work from the ground up. It would be very unusual for this type to be in a door unless the door was rarely used. But steel doors don't have a lot of wood in them. Have a reputable contractor inspect the damage and make suggestions for repairs.

Old 06-27-07, 09:44 AM
I live North of Houston, Texas. There is no doubt these are termites, I just used flying figuratively. Yes, these termites are no fools, they made their way in. But I can see the tunnel, it comes from the ground outside, completely camouflages with the regular type of deposit you would normally get in the doorstep where the deck (yes, wooden) meets the door. We don't use that door much, sometimes once in three days or so.

The point is the door. It is a sandwich door (sorry, I am not much into the construction lingo) with metal inside and out, and visible painted wood in the middle (+- 1" thick). There are a few glass panels in it.

Think I have to discard it? Treat it? Fix it? Better option out there that will not cost much?
If I leave it, how can I know I don't have now an invitation for others (termites or otherwise) to come and live there?
The way i see it, that point will always be a weak point because there is no porch or overhead to protect from our frequent rains, it is just a two story wall with an insignificant little eve right on top of door, protruding just a few inches. If there were doors out there with abot 10 inches of just metal at the bottom (or lined all around) that would probably do the trick.

Please, tell me what is best

Old 06-27-07, 03:14 PM
J
A basic steel door from Stanley/Masonite, is not expensive, about $175 at big box. But more important is what other damage have they done. You need to have things look at by someone that understands those munchy critters. And have the place treated. I prefer local companies over outfits like Terminex, they seem to do a better job.

Old 07-03-07, 06:26 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I live in Georgia and here its not if you get termites but when. My mother (sinle mom also) her house got infested with termites and she had major damage. Had 4 floor joists, 5 stud and sill ate up.

I'd get some mony up and get the house inspected and sprayed/baited ASAP. The door can be replaced for $100 dollars or so.

Old 08-05-07, 11:51 AM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unfortunately the termites will not just go away. All they need is 1/64th of an inch to find their way into the house. You probably have problems in other areas you cannot see. I would recommend a professional inspection to verify where else they might be.

Hiring an unbiased home Inspector might be the place to start, they usually charge $100 or so for a pest inspection. Find one that doesn't do the treatment, just does home inspections.

Then get some estimates from pest companies. This problem will not go away. Make sure the whole home is treated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: