found termites in yard and used termite bait/stakes ?????

Old 01-16-08, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow found termites in yard and used termite bait/stakes ?????

I did a search of the forum and did not find any info specific to this product and I also googled it and found no reviews.

We placed Spectrum Brands 20 Ct Terminate Stakes around our home late summer due to coming across what looked like a mound of termites coming out of the ground near our property line (not to close to the house but close enough). We decided better safe than sorry. One of the stakes has had some activity and most of the cardboard/bait has been eaten and now we are concerned. lol

I understand this is a treatment as well as a way to determine if you have termites. We just aren't sure if this is the best treatment and we want to protect our assessts.

We just purchased the home several months prior to placing the stakes around the home and had a termite inspection w/ nothing found.

We don't believe the termites have penetrated the home however we are not pro's.

What do you all recommend?
Should we call a local company to come out and inspect?
(We already know they are going to pitch their product b/c it is evident there are termites near the home.)
Are the termite stakes sufficient??

Old 01-16-08, 07:48 AM
T
Termite stakes are not a stand alone preventive for protecting assets. It's too easy for termites to miss the stakes and head on toward your structure. A termite inspection, termiticide barrier for prevention, and annual inspection offer the best assurance.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-17-08 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-16-08, 09:13 PM
Thank you for reassuring me on what I suspected I should do.

We will have someone come inspect the home and go from there.

Thank you again.

Old 01-23-08, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Bait/stakes

My ex let the termite protection on my house lapse, so I had to restart the treatment. Didn't even think about it after I moved back to the house, til in the spring, when the swarmers came in the garage and under one wall. Luckily, no structural damage, just some baseboard needed replacing.

After the re-treat (full perimeter), still had swarmers in the yard every spring. Checked with the Gov entomologist (sp?) on the base I worked, and he gave me an hour on termites in our area. Since the perimeter treatment only killed and prevented them from entering the house, the colonies were still out there. Also, something about when the critters died, other ones would avoid that area and search for other weak points. He also stated that the treatment really depended on soil conditions, as to how long it would last and how far it would penetrate (hard clay bout 18" below surface in that area). Had 2 more incidents of swarmers in the house, but again, luckily no infestations, just coming thru the concrete joints in the garage. At that time, none of the baiting stations were approved for use, so I just had to deal with it.

Bout 3-4 yrs later, Terminix (our service) came by and offered the baiting method. Since I wasn't a fan of pumping chemicals into the ground and house, I decided to try it. It did cost a bit more, but I felt the inspections and monitoring were worth it. Guess what, within about a year, no more swarmers in the yard anywhere..they all moved off to the neighbors. Neighbors on both sides went to the "pro" bait stations, and had the same results. Those that were still having the standard treatment were still having outside swarmer issues when I moved last year.

Sorry for the length of the post, but wanted to be as complete as possible. Hope this helps someone.

Old 01-26-08, 09:17 PM
very helpful and I thank you for your time.

Old 04-28-08, 06:29 PM
UPDATE:

Almost all the stakes we put in have indicated termites. UNLESS other insects are eating this stuff.

Some of them have had all the bait/cardboard eaten out of them.

We're going to have a local termite company come out and check the place out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: