carpenter ants or termites attacking timber retaining wall

Old 09-22-10, 11:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
carpenter ants or termites attacking timber retaining wall

I just noticed some sawdust getting pushed out of some cracks of an old timber retaining wall in my garden.

uppon further inspection, there is a fair amount of what looks like sand that has been pushed out the side of the wall where it ends and meets a stone wall.

I did see a lot of ants in that part of the garden this summer, but not sure if these are ants or termites.

any reccomendations of a way to get rid of them?

Old 09-22-10, 02:43 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
The sand being pushed out doesn't sound like termite activity, but you may in fact have termites elsewhere in the timber. I see you are in New Hampshire, not known for termites to any great extent.
Could also be rodent activity causing the sand. Do you guys have cicada killer wasps up there? They move soil/sand like a rodent.
If you in fact have ants, our favorite is Termidor and/or Phantom.
First make sure what is causing the problem for sure, before treating.

Old 09-22-10, 02:54 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll try to take another look again this weekend.
There was definitely saw dust coming from between the joints of the timber wall. I did see a lot of ant activity in that area late this summer, but they were much smaller than what I think a carpenter ant is. I would say 1/4 inch maybe slightly larger. Also some larger flying ants on some leaves as well.

I did sprinkle some "Advance"? brand granules on the ground in the area as well as squirt some MaxForce Gel into the joints of the wood.

I cleaned up the saw dust and will look for more this weekend.

thx

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: