Ant or termite? (High res pics)

Old 04-27-11, 05:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ant or termite? (High res pics)

Hello, can someone help id these insects for me. The termite guys here aren't too honest, so i need a second opinion before I call them in.

I had ants all winter with the rains. In spring, these showed up where the ants were previously. They are larger winged versions, but the wings don't look like what I'm used to on soldier ants. I haven't noticed any shavings or pellets to inspect and the attic on that side of the house is not accessible.

Any help you provide is appreciated.
thanks,
jerp

Old 04-28-11, 03:56 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Definitely not termites. Search internet for "parasitic wasps"-see if you get any matches. Since states have been introducing them as a form of bio-control, they have been causing this kind of confusion. If this is what they are, then they are harmless. Keep us posted.

Old 04-28-11, 04:35 PM
D
Having waged war on termites for many years (and winning!), I have learned this. A termite has a solid body and four wings all the same size. These are swarming termites. There are also termites that looks like a grain of rice. An ant on the other hand, has a pinched body (defined waist) and the wings are different sizes. 2 small wings and 2 large wings. Good luck!

Old 04-29-11, 09:33 PM
J
DLR82,
These did have a pinched waist. You can see the pinched waist on the one without wings. I took these pics to a local termite inspector and he said that they are definitely not termites. He wasn't sure what kind of ant it was. He noted that they were too large to be termites, but too small for carpenter ants. I noticed that the wings are barely longer than the body, which isn't true of termites. I guess the bent antennae should've been the giveaway. They weren't so bent in some of my pics. I can't tell the length of front and back wings when they are folded back like they are.

I'm glad I found an honest termite inspector. Thanks guys for helping. I keep on with the ant traps rather than calling in the troops.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: