Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Insect, Pests and Animal Control. Home Pets and Farm Animals > Termite and Wood Boring Insects
Reload this Page >

Are termite bait systems as effective as traditional chemical treatments>

Old 06-07-11, 10:27 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Currently have Advance bait system installed by a local pest control but considering going to a traditional treatment of Dominion since the pest control co has not be diligent about checking the bait stations. Your feedback is appreciated.

Old 06-11-11, 07:54 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
For traditional treatment, consider Termidor. In my opinion it is the best and it is what we use. Now that said, the active ingredient in Dominion is Imidacloprid, which I would rank in 2nd place. Have used a lot of it in the past. Both are non-repellent, which is important. If you already have Dominion, use it.

I've never baited for termites-I personally believe that baiting will become more effective in the future, as newer lures, pheromones become available.

Sometimes surrounding environmental conditions make baiting much safer for all, including liability issues. The baits work, if and when termites eat it. Sounds too simplistic, but essentially that's the crux of the matter. With non-repellent traditional soil treatments, the termites don't even know it's there and will transfer it back to colony. The residual is there long after the treatment, whereas with baiting you must continue the service. When service is canceled, no residual protection is present.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: