Burrowing into laminate flooring?

Old 06-14-12, 10:41 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burrowing into laminate flooring?

Hi everyone, hope someone might lend me a hand here.

For a while I've seen a few beetles and larvae hanging around my home. I was pretty sure they were black carpet beetles and their larvae from looking at pictures. I followed instructions I found online -- checked everything, vacuumed everything in sight, and so on. Also sprayed Ortho Home Defense Max where I saw the beetles (behind bookcases), as well as along my baseboards. For a few days, have been finding dead bodies here and there -- both beetles and larvae.

Thought things were looking up but now it looks like something is eating/burrowing into my floors. So back to online research....looks like things going into the wood (not coming out of it)....so now I'm wondering if perhaps I have larder beetles, whose larvae burrow into stuff to hatch? Do the holes in the pictures (Flooring holes - a set on Flickr) look like that might be the case? Or am I facing something else? I'm pretty sure these holes haven't always been there. And there are many of them throughout my floors -- which are laminate.

Many thanks

T.

Old 06-15-12, 04:27 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
The damage in the flooring does not look fresh or recent based on the color. I would expect the openings to be much lighter than the surface.
Though not much info/evidence to go on, I suspect that was existing in the flooring and has become exposed as time goes on, but maybe not. Can you get underneath the floor to inspect joists, sills, bandboards, masonry walls, etc?

Donít know what the beetles are-can you post various pictures of them? Larder beetles rarely make the holes, but are opportunists. These holes donít look big enough for them anyway, but maybe. Anyway, if larder beetles are present, you need to find where they are coming from. They donít just show up-somewhere nearby you have an infestation. Taxidermy mounts, hides, furs, and other natural-made products will harbor them, if it is them. We need a proper ID on the beetles (and inspection underneath the floor) next, before we can really proceed.

Old 06-15-12, 05:32 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What part of Toronto are you located? I know that the northern area (North York, Markham, etc) had issues a number of years back with pine beetles. This was back when I still lived down there (7-8 years ago), so I don't know if it's still and issue or not.
My parents had those beetles on their property north west of Sudbury (outside however). I had seen what they could do to a tree and the holes kind of looked like what you have in your pictures.

These may not be the same little monsters, but it would give you something to look up and compare to what you have found.

Old 06-16-12, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
The holes have a black outline. If they were bored, they would be lighter on the edges, as the internal part of laminate is MDF and light in color.
Mike, pine beetles can't live on horizontal wood. DON'T ask me why . They move from tree to tree and the only way to get rid of them is to level their living space. Once the trees are down, they die.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: