borers in furniture

Old 05-30-13, 05:46 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
borers in furniture

G'day - i am an old bloke and just discovered borers in my Mums dressing table drawers

is it possible to kill them or should i throw away a cherished possession

have read many labels on products but not sure what to use so will value your advise

regards

peter

Old 05-31-13, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
What kind of bores? how much damage?

pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-31-13, 05:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
Much depends on what insects they are, and where you are located. I would first check the house itself and other furniture since I doubt they just came in and only went for that one piece of furniture. I've bought houses where termites were in the walls & floors, bored through the floor and up in though furniture legs. Basically meaning the whole house was infested.

Old 05-31-13, 05:02 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Hello Pete:
The boring beetles vary in species and behavior even on the same continent and very much so between the continents. You will need to have the species identified from someone local to get the best information. Try to find someone who will give you objective information such as a county extension office or the equivalent. Here in Pennsylvania the equivalent office would be the Penn State extension office, for example. These offices are found in each county to assist citizens and farmers with objective info.

Was this piece of furniture stored in a shed or other exterior storage?

Some species of borers do not re-infest after they emerge. If that is the case here then it is just a matter of time until the cycle runs its course. This is why it will be helpful to learn what species they are from someone local and objective; not a salesperson.

If I were to treat borers here in the northeast US I would consider using Boracare or Tim-Bor or any of the other brands that use the same active ingredient. Disodium octaborate, commonly called borates.

In order to treat for these borers the wood must be bare and unfinished. Even paint or stain would prohibit the necessary penetration. That makes treating furniture prohibitive for the most part.

The other option, certainly more expensive but will work, would be a genuine fumigation, where the commodity to be fumigated is placed in air-tight chamber or tent and a gas is introduced over a period of days. The gas will penetrate even with finished furniture. All stages of insect will be killed. No residual protection will be in place so future storage must be appropriate.

The laws vary greatly between countries as to what chemicals and practices are available to us so that even limits our knowledge and advice between the countries.

Keep us informed as to what you learn and decide; Iím interested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: