Is this a termite? (Little white bugs found on wood in garage)

Old 07-08-13, 05:07 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this a termite? (Little white bugs found on wood in garage)

For the past few weeks I've noticed these little white bugs on wood in the garage. I asked a couple people about them, and the general consensus was that they weren't termites. Since I haven't noticed any holes or tunnels I haven't worried about them.

But today I finally did a bunch of research about "tiny white bugs on wood" and termites are the only bugs that seem to fit this visual description. (wood mites also came up, but it seems that wood mites are rounder, where these bugs are elongated like termites)

Do you have any ideas or advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmnb7eTqQdg I took another video too...and will go through it to see if there's a clearer segment of the clip.

Old 07-08-13, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Can't watch the vid...messes my comp up. You need a closer pic I think. Here's a way to tell in most cases....

What's the difference between an ant and a termite? (Eric, Sheboygan, WI, USA) - Ant Blog

Old 07-08-13, 05:17 PM
K
Alright, from that site it looks like these are termites. They're too small for me to see with just my eyes, and even too small to really tell when seen thorough the magnifying glass on my scroll saw.

These bugs are white/transparent if that makes any difference.

Old 07-08-13, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
If they are that small....I doubt they are termites...at least none I've ever seen. Most workers (the white translucent ones) are about 1/2" long or so.

Our bug expert will be around later.

Old 07-09-13, 04:48 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Not subterranean termites...don’t think they are any species of termite but I’d like to see a close-up still photo so as to identify physiclal characteristics.

White/translucent is an unusual color for an insect that moves so well above ground. When insects “molt”, that is, when they shed their skin they will be white for a short period of time. This is common with cockroaches.

Get us a close-up.

Old 07-09-13, 01:34 PM
K
Alright I'll try to get a closeup.

These things are TINY. My vision's not perfect, but not terrible (my wife can see better than me with her glasses on, but the eye doc said my vision isn't bad enough for glasses)

point is... With my naked eye I can only see a white/translucent object moving. About the size of a grain of salt, but 3 grains in length.

I'll try for a closeup picture.

Old 07-09-13, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Sounds more like a fly maggot of some sort. Not uncommon to find in a stack of wood...any chance of a dead critter body in the area?

Video looks like they are too fast for that..and wrong type of body movement.

Old 07-09-13, 02:26 PM
K
Alright here are some closer photos. They move at a moderate pace, like an ant (a moderately paced ant), but they seemed to just barely outsmart my depth of field expectations each time.

To get them to come out, I pull a board out of my wood cart, and pound it on my work table. A few come out, and they run and make a mad dash to the little gap between the Hardboard and OSB (see pic 2)

Name:  IMG_1464_PROOF.jpg
Views: 100814
Size:  5.9 KB

For reference, that's 3/16" hardboard, on top of OSB.
Name:  IMG_1467_PROOF.jpg
Views: 95429
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1469_PROOF.jpg
Views: 54781
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1471_PROOF.jpg
Views: 59003
Size:  5.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1473_PROOF.jpg
Views: 104355
Size:  9.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1475_PROOF.jpg
Views: 53924
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1477_PROOF.jpg
Views: 57061
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1479_PROOF.jpg
Views: 55865
Size:  35.7 KB

Old 07-09-13, 03:21 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
I think “psocid” (silent p) also known as book lice. They look like subterranean termite workers but move fast and do not damage wood. The are found in chronically damp areas; the same kind of areas that would encourage mildew.

They are hard to expose as they dislike sunlight. They are always white/translucent. Pull stuff out of garage and dry it out. Search psocid and see what you think.

Old 07-09-13, 07:33 PM
K
I think you're right! The description, photos, and habits of Psocids fit the bill. I'll run a dehumidifier out there too for awhile and see how to control moisture out there. Maybe I'll put some wood outside to dry.

I noticed them as soon as I pulled some pallets in for planing for practice wood. Some of the pallets were dark, which I assume to be moldy. Thanks for the tip!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: