Does termites or termite damage have a musty odor?

Old 07-15-13, 08:29 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does termites or termite damage have a musty odor?

We recently bought a house that was built in 1972. It has some bad termite damage, but it was supposedly all fixed. There is a musty odor and I am wondering if termite damage, or termite poop or termite residue leaves a musty odor.

There is still a moisture problem in the crawlspace and we plan on getting a dehumidifier, but I fear that the odor may be coming from the termite damage.

I googled several sights and read that termites can only be smelled by dogs, but maybe a huge amount of termite damage may cause an odor?

The house has been vacant for about a year.

Any and all help appreciated.

DPForumDog

tag: mold musty smell stink termite tunnels damage

Last edited by dpforu; 07-15-13 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-15-13, 08:45 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The only connection I have seen between termites and any smell is that they need moisture and moisture is associated with that musty smell. Others will comment, but my guess is the moisture problem is the source. As for solving moisture problems, I'm never optimistic. Most of what is necessary should have been done when the house was built. Much reading available.

Bud

Old 07-15-13, 09:18 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks,
And this land is clay that holds water. The house is on a fairly flat area. We will soon try a dehumidifier and black plastic sheeting. I also just read about some type of the foam that you can put up the sides of the crawlspace, but this concerns me because I heard that encapsulating can actually increase the moisture problem.

Old 07-15-13, 12:40 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
I agree with Bud. No odors detectable to humans from termites or their damage, at least subterranean termites. Termite sniffing dogs, usually beagles, were popular for a while as they really did find termites by detecting the CO2 from the live termites. No way for them to detect damage.

Fresh, dry air may be whats needed.

Old 07-15-13, 01:01 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Moisture in a crawl space can come through the concrete or floor, or with any air that leaks in. In humid climates, ventilating a crawl space introduces a lot of moisture. Once encapsulated then dehumidification is necessary to control moisture and prevent it from building up. But once you have covered the floor and added rigid foam to the walls there isn't much moisture left. If you use air conditioning, simply including that crawl in the conditioned space does the trick at little expense. If you do not run ac, then the dehumidifier is necessary.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: