Termite swarming what to do

Old 05-17-14, 10:37 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Termite swarming what to do

Hey first timer but heres my story this morning after a heavy rain my neighbor saw these bugs swarming out of my garage wall from an opening between the metal sheet and the wood under it. He looked at it closely and he said it might be termites. Since my whole house is wood I got scared and since I didnt have any bug spray handy I sprayed the hell out of them and they area with lysol with bleach (hell if it can kill humans im sure it can kill bugs too) ANyway they stopped swarming and i opened it up and sure enough the wood was eaten through.

So first question what kind of termite am I looking at. 2nd If i rip out all the wood infected would that be enough to control the infestation? I want to attach pictures of the bugs found so you guys can tell me what I am looking at.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-14, 11:57 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
Subterranean termites.
The winged termites are simply reproducers but they indicate the presence of an underground termite colony. The damaged wood was caused by the “workers” which look like little white ants. They stay inside the wood or in the ground unless exposed. Removing the wood won’t do anything to the colony. Treating the soil perimeter with an adequate amount of termiticide is needed. Some companies use termite bait stations which is a whole different type of treatment.

Old 05-17-14, 05:45 PM
N
Thanks for the info. I was initially thinking they were drywood termites. Anyway I called up an exterminator /pest control company and asked them to come in for an inspection and estimate. Lets see what they say.

As for treatment any specific ones I should know about and make sure that they are utilized? Any treatments to stay away from??

Just for reference Im in NYC if that changes any recommendations.

Thanks again for the info.

Old 05-18-14, 08:10 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
I prefer the active ingredient: fipronil; There are various brand names. I’m not sure that you can get it in NY. NY has been slow to approve of modern day insecticides.

Other good ones are : Phantom (brand name) or the active ingredient: Imidacloprid.

Surface treatments to exposed wood that would be helpful as a supplement to the traditional soil treatment, or to a baiting system would be Tim-Bor or Bora-Care or equivalents.

I’m not experienced in baiting systems though they are popular. They are expensive and have an on-going annual expense.

Old 05-18-14, 09:40 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Note, the winged critters you see/saw will go away in a day or so as this is a once a year event. PA will correct me if I'm wrong. But having them disappear by no means indicates they are gone. In fact, the swarming is a process of establishing new colonies, so now is a good time to get the house treated.

The good news is, they can be 100% controlled with no further damage, but treatment and or inspection should become an ongoing process.

Bud

Old 05-26-14, 10:11 AM
N
Thanks guys im calling a few of the local exterminators and see what kind of prices and job descriptions I get. Will post here what the final cost and recommended treatment is.