Do I have termites?

Old 01-07-15, 12:43 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I have termites?

Oh man I wish I had a termite inspection, but too late now. In my area under the stairs there are a billion dead ants. More importantly there are these weird dirt looking tunnel things, but they are between beams and in corners. I broke them apart and they don't seem like actual tunnels.... but they might be.. plus I got holes in my sill plates. I have attached bad camera picsName:  IMG-20150106-00185.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  27.6 KB
hole/trail in sill plate board.
Name:  IMG-20150106-00194.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  16.0 KB

Name:  IMG-20150106-00196.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  21.8 KB

What do you all think?

Old 01-07-15, 06:50 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To me it looks like moisture and termites, one thing termites love and need to live is moisture.
What's that gray area where a pressure treated sill plate should be in that first picture?
Any exterminator company will do a free inspection.
What's on the other side of that rim joist?
I see this most often when some installed a deck using a ledger without waterproofing the wall first or there's a pored patio right up against the house that was done wrong.

Old 01-07-15, 08:43 AM
Z
Gray thing is a water pipe that sits on the sill plate.
The other side is the steps (poured) leading up to the house. They have settled and there is a crack in them.

Old 01-07-15, 09:39 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
I believe that it is subterranean termite evidence. The ants arenít related to the termites unless what we think are ants are actually the dead swarmer termites (reproducers) from when they swarmed in the spring.

Old 01-07-15, 01:48 PM
Z
Well, bug guy agrees.
Evidence of termites.

They want to treat the crawl area. and then drill holes in the outer walls to inject spray into the house cavities. Cost about $900. Is this a scam or worth it?

Old 01-07-15, 03:24 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
The price doesn’t scare me as that is within the range of what we charge for a normal sized house, full treatment, based on linear footage, barring any/many pain in the neck issues, well casings near or within foundation, streams/creeks/ponds very close, drainage ditches very close, amount of drilling, etc.

I strongly urge you to hire someone using “Fipronil” as the “active ingredient”, be it Termidor, Taurus SC or any of the others.

Treating the crawl space and drilling the block wall voids is good. However, I’m hoping that they are also trenching & treating the exterior soil perimeter that meets the house foundation as well as drilling any exterior patio/porch slabs, sidewalks, that adjoin the house foundation. Otherwise, it seems that they are promoting a partial treatment, which can still work using “fipronil” as active ingredient but the price seems awfully high for that unless you are in a high cost area. I am not in a high cost area.

A good way to hire pest control companies is by word of mouth from friends, neighbors, relatives. Always good to have more opinions. Termites are never an emergency and don’t let anyone talk to you like that. That would be a bad sign for me. Keep us posted.

Old 01-07-15, 06:16 PM
Z
Termador is what he uses. No trenching. Only in the walls. Borax in the crawl space. Quarterly spraying for one year the grounds around the house.

Old 01-08-15, 07:30 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Trenching and treating soil perimeter as well as drilling and treating adjoining slabs are paramount to controlling subterranean termites. The main colony lives in the soil outside the house and sends workers in and out of the house depending on their moisture needs. We usually donít drill block voids but when we do it is only in the area of active infestation. We always treat exterior perimeter. There wonít be much residual life of Termidor in the block wall voids but there will in the soil perimeter.

BoraCare/Timbor treating the wood is a good thing but not always necessary.

What are the quarterly treatments for?

Old 01-08-15, 08:38 AM
Z
My entire house and garage is slab. Are you talking about drilling the whole house floor?

Old 01-08-15, 12:32 PM
Z
Okay.. I got another guy coming out today that does the ground thing you are talking about. Let's see what it costs.

Old 01-09-15, 12:34 PM
Z
Okay.. $1300 to do the trenching slab drilling, but they don't drill inside the house just around the perimeter. They use termidor.
Inspector is going pick up the tab.

Old 01-10-15, 09:36 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
[QUOTE] My entire house and garage is slab. Are you talking about drilling the whole house floor?QUOTE]
Iím confused by this statement because you show photos of a crawl space and refer to a crawl space.

I donít like drilling interior slabs unless there is compelling reason to do so hence my previous comment-"as well as drilling any exterior patio/porch slabs, sidewalks, that adjoin the house foundation.Ē

I like the price and treatment method of the most recent guy. I also like that you got someone else to pay. Well done.

Old 01-10-15, 10:11 AM
Z
Those photos are of the storage area under the stairs. He doesn't need to drill there because just outside of that is the porch.. which is where he will drill.

Tell me how effective the treatment is? This guy is saying minimum 10 years termite free (subteranean.. which is what we have here) and in his years experience generally it is forever (He states our area doesn't have a huge problem with them so once you wipe them out they are gone). That seems a little too optimistic.

Old 01-10-15, 10:21 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Fipronil based termiticides of which Termidor is one are very effective. Five year warranties are not unusual for one treatment.

You donít live in a high termite density area so solving this current problem may be all that you will ever need. That doesnít mean that the fipronil will last that long in the ground, but itís not like termites will be waiting right outside either. Fipronil, as well as the other non-repellents, can kill the entire colony as opposed to the more repellent termiticides.

You can buy fipronil based termiticides over the counter or on-line. Search for it. Maybe Oregon doesnít allow it though. You could easily re-trench and re-inforce the existing treatment, especially since your house is on a slab.

Old 01-15-15, 12:12 PM
Z
Okay..
today I had my termite treatments.
They trenched around the house and poured a termador mix around. Drilled into my porch and garage and used a gun to inject termador. Then they went into the space we found them and treated with timbor. Then they filled the trench and went over the exterior of the house bottom with another spray of termador. Finally they filled all the holes.
The only thing I am concerned about... which I should have asked while he was there is the garage is attached to the house and one of the walls of the garage walls shares common with the house. He did several holes in the garage floor near the exterior stair where he knew they had come from, but didn't do any holes in the garage floor along the common wall. Should I ask him about that?

Last edited by Zarich; 01-15-15 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 01:25 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a thorough treatment with quality materials. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Old 01-15-15, 01:32 PM
Z
Did you catch my question in the middle of my paragraph there? I was hoping for some insight.

Old 01-16-15, 06:41 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
My response came 2 minutes before the edit; didnít see your question till now.

Yes it seems to me that he should have drilled across the garage slab parallel to the house wall especially if the original problem was noted there. We often times donít drill that wall either, if itís not implicated in the termite evidence as Termidor is that good that it will affect the colony as they contact it elsewhere in the treated areas.
We do drill the garage slab if/when evidence is nearby. Now that said, Termidor (fipronil) is that good and it is non-repellent so they wonít detect it and will continue to work right through it thereby taking it back to the colony by ďhorizontal transferĒ as they call it. What is the nature of the warranty that you are getting?

I think it would be a good idea to at least ask him why he didnít drill garage slab parallel to the house to see what his thinking/strategy is. Keep us posted; Iím curious.

Old 01-16-15, 09:38 AM
Z
So.. He did do one hole along that wall near where the stairs are (because that is near where we found the damage in the house). His main reason for not doing more along that wall was two fold. First He feels strongly that in our climate it is too cold in a garage to worry about activity in that area. Second He treated the outside of that area and the wall on the side where we knew they had gotten into the house and since it is not a repellent that should be more than sufficient, IF they are still around(which he is not convinced of) to get it back to the colony. Further he says that termidor is being applied under pressure under the slab and will spread. So he isn't worried about that particular area. Finally, he doesn't like drilling more holes in the garage then he has to. His warranty is technically one year.. but he said.. don't hesitate to call him in three if we see any evidence of it again and he will take care of it free (he said he has never gotten a call back for termites). He does not warranty damage though.

Old 01-16-15, 10:15 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Good answers. Sounds like you hired a good guy. Hardly anyone does warranty damage anymore. Hopefully this is done and finished. Thanks for the update.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: