Insect or Dry Rot on outside beam?

Old 02-25-17, 02:11 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insect or Dry Rot on outside beam?

We had historical rain here and I noticed on the bottom on one of the beams outside of my home some kind of dry rot or insect damage.

The beam seems to be strong, but I see the screws at the base of the beam have fallen off or very loose.

I've attached some pictures. All sides of the beam. Anyone know what this is? And how I can fix it myself?

Thanks.

Attached Images     
Old 02-25-17, 03:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
That rot doesn't have much to do with your recent rain. The bottom of your porch posts/columns are rotten. When replacing them a post base that holds the wood off of the concrete will help prevent rot in the future. Also, use pressure treated lumber.

Old 02-25-17, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The cut end of wood sucks up water just like a straw, so what you are seeing is decay from it being wet. There really is no such thing as "dry rot", I wish that phrase would just go away.

It also appears this is the 2nd time a repair has been needed... looks like someone cut off 1 1/2" once upon a time and stuck a flat board underneath the cut end.

Old 02-26-17, 08:33 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you both for the responses.

Yes I think the previous owner must have put that flat board there.

So do you think I will need to replace the whole post?

Old 02-26-17, 08:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
It looks like you probably will have to replace the post. If you poke the post with a screwdriver or knife you can feel how far up the wood is soft. I'm guessing that by the time you get rid of the board on the bottom the rot will be too far up for the space to be made up by a post base.

Old 02-26-17, 08:49 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Is that the only such post ?

I would consider making the bottom 2 or 3 feet a bit more decorative, and of a more water shedding nature, as suggested.

While temporarily supporting the structure, you could drill into the current post, or proceed to cut through it at higher and higher points to ascertain how far up water (and rot) has been drawn before you reach salvageable material.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: