Need help identifying these insects

Old 07-24-17, 12:07 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need help identifying these insects

Hello, i am new to the forums and would like to get help identify the insects in pictures attached.

We live in Dallas TX single storey house, found 10-15 of these in the bathroom yesterday and looks like they are coming from the transition from carpet and bathroom tile. There are windows close to this transition area and a door that is 10ft away.

We actually had a termite inspection done a month ago and they did not find anything suspicious.

I will be reading articles for steps we can take regarding this.

All your help is appreciated.

Attached Images    
Old 07-24-17, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 942 Votes on 860 Posts
That's just an ant. Winged reproductive male. Might be carpenter ants... hard to get an idea of the actual size from your pics with nothing to reference the size.

Old 07-24-17, 12:45 PM
V
Thank you for the quick reply XSleeper.

Hopefully there aren't anymore left, but if i find one today will put a coin next to it in the picture to get an idea of the size.

Initially when we saw this we thought these were termites, but on looking at pictures online didn't look like one.

Old 07-25-17, 07:11 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Carpenter ants can be just as bad as termites and once you see a swarm you know there is a large colony somewhere. The disadvantage of termites is they do 99% of their damage out of sight. Ants forage where we can spot them. Try to determine where they are coming from. It looks like you found those inside which isn't good. Just because the swarm is over doesn't mean they are gone.

Good luck.
PS I have had good luck with Terro products.

Bud

Old 07-25-17, 09:23 AM
V
Thank you Bud, will try to figure out where they are coming from.

Checked yesterday evening as soon as i got home from work and did not find any to take a picture to get an idea of their size.

Looked up Terro and the reviews look good, will order today and update how it goes.

Old 07-25-17, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 942 Votes on 860 Posts
They like wet wood so poke around on your window sill and siding, look in your crawl space. You can drill holes and blow ant poison (dust) into walls and floors.

Old 07-25-17, 09:49 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The Terro can be very slow as they first have to find it and then get back to the colony before they die. I have become very tricky. One, if you see an ant don't kill it, it may be the one that is carrying the poison back to the group, preferably the queen. But to help that along I have been known to catch the critters and put a touch of the poison on them then and release in same area. If you can locate a path they like then that is a great place to place some poison. Avoid sprays that might kill them but will chase the rest away from the bait. The bait concept is the key to eliminating the colony. Hate to say it but I'm getting too much practice although I am making progress. I have a picture somewhere of 4 ants around a dab of Terro like pigs at a feeding trough. A day later was the end of any sightings in that area. Now a year later and still none.

best
Bud

Old 08-03-17, 01:41 PM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Terro is the only thing that I have found to work. I use it every year to kill off the sugar ants that flock to my kitchen around this time. Last night I placed a few drops of the gel on a business card and within minutes there were 50+ ants huddled around in a circle feeding off the stuff. Kind of funny to see. This morning it was all gone, so I spread a few more drops. Within seconds, several scurried over and started to chow down, like a hungry dog racing towards a replenished food dish

BTW, if that's a common 1/4" grout joint, then I'd say that ant is about 1/4" in length.

Old 08-22-17, 07:33 AM
V
Wanted to give an update since it has been a few weeks since i had posted my question.

I placed Terro ant baits in different places where i had seen these ants. I did not see any ants actually in the bait or near it, but i did see them go away, not that they are completely gone but the number has gone down a lot. I also put a few drops of the bait in their path (cannot reach there unless you use a stepping stool if there are any safety concerns) of travel and that also helped.

As xsleeper said these were common house ants.

Mossman you are right that is quarter inch grout joint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: