Is this frass ?

Old 08-14-17, 01:03 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this frass ?

I noticed that my window was getting mold on the glass and bottom of the window, so I went to wipe it off and noticed these grey flakes sitting at the bottom. There is none on the window sill. It turns black when wet and does smear like mold. There are some on the outside rim of the window too. Does it look like it could be termite or carpenter frass at all?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 08-14-17, 02:44 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
I donít know what that stuff is; seems like it might be to much of a ďclose-upĒ.

What state are you in? It can make a difference as termite species and behavior vary dramatically from one region to another.

Ant frass will sometimes contain ant body parts in it because as ants die the survivors simply cast them out with the frass.

Sometimes simple ďmechanicalĒ damage will cause concern such as sliding drawers, opening/closing windows, etc.

Old 08-14-17, 03:22 PM
W
Thanks for the reply. I'm in Washington state. I haven't seen any ant body parts nor any dead insects lying around the window.

Here's a photo that is less close up.

Old 08-14-17, 03:45 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
Better pic, thanks. I still donít know what it is for sure. Iím from the east and we only have subterranean termites. This is not subterranean termite evidence. I did a quick search and it seems that you guys do have western dry wood termites as well. They do not need a soil contact as do subterraneans. Dry wood termites fecal material is different and they do kick out frass unlike subterraneans. Iím not saying it is dry wood termites, but I simply donít know.

Maybe try probing the underside of the window and elsewhere with a screwdriver and look for weakness and soft spots.

Otherwise, Iíd take a good sample of this material and any other things that are in it and take it to an agricultural county extension agent. Here in PA it would be an extension office of Penn State. Not sure who yours would be but the point is they will be objective in their assessment. Iíve used them here for identification. If it is indeed insect related then you can learn from the ag people first, before you search for a pest control company. Should it be termites, then take your time to learn about the termites and treatment before you call pest control companies. Termites in your part of the country are not an emergency but do need to be dealt with. Word of mouth is a good way to find reputable companies.

Keep us updated with what you find. Iím curious.

Old 08-15-17, 02:53 PM
W
I called a local pest control company and I tried to describe it as best as I could. I asked if termite frass is always in pellets and he said yes. Then, I asked about carpenter ants and he asked if I've seen any bugs or big black ants around. I told him that I've seen them around the front porch, but not near my window. He said I would see them around in the house if there were any, and if they're outside then he wouldn't worry about it. I can't tell if he was helpful or not. I guess I have to try agricultural extension next.

I'm also beginning to wonder if it's just peat moss. There is a small chunk in the corner that has a little of moss on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: