Advice about termites

Old 09-27-17, 04:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice about termites

Hi,

I live in Los Angeles and found a winged termite flying near a living room lamp 3 days ago. My neighbors house which appears to have never been maintained is being gutted from the inside first and after tearing everything up, replacing everything, theyíre starting to paint. I have knocked on as much as I can reach/see around the house, looked in the house/attic as much as we can access, see no Frass, hear nothing in the walls. When itís not hot, I do leave the doors open, patio has screen and security gate out front with gaps, which is why we have crickets until the cats and dog get them. About 6 months ago, I found termite Frass at the base of a patio post, had the entire patio inspected, and replaced/painted the posts. My entire backyard fence was also repainted within the last year. Do I need to have the whole house inspected or is it possible that this guy got blown over from the neighbors house? Itís very windy in the valley where we live. I bagged it and have a photo on my iPhone but not sure how the attach it to this post. I have never seen a termite this large before!

Thanks in advance,
Bonnie

Old 09-27-17, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 942 Votes on 860 Posts
Not every winged small insect is a termite. There are winged ants that many people mistake for termites... and they areally fairly harmless. Termites are kind of an opaque shade of ivory/creme color...

Old 09-27-17, 04:53 PM
B
Thanks! This is definitely a termite. Since I can't figure out how to upload my photo, I found a stock image that looks exactly like what I found. Nothing since then, but obviously, it's a concern.

Old 09-27-17, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 942 Votes on 860 Posts
Yes, the straight antennae (not bent) and straighter body when viewed from above are also characteristics. Ants will be more segmented (narrow waist).

Have you had the soil surrounding your home treated? That should be done every few years. Any idea when the last time was that it was done? Sidewalks and driveways are bored and injected then plugged. Brick facades can also be done similarly.

Old 09-27-17, 08:38 PM
B
Thanks again. It's been a few years. I'll start calling around for estimates. I had the little worker subterranean ones chew through a hall base moulding and a bit up in the wall. I had it taken care of and while he was here, he inspected the attic, which was pest free, but found some in the soil on the south side yard, which he injected. He also injected a crack in the garage floor and a few other places.

Question.. since these seem to be dry wood and not subterranean, does injecting into the soil still deter those? Thank you!

Old 09-28-17, 05:31 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
The treatments for dry wood termites are very different than for subterranean termites. One has no effect on the other. I have no experience with dry wood termites as Iíve been in the east my whole career. If you know a pest control company that you trust then they would be good people to call. You need objective info and advice, not just a sales man. Word of mouth is a very good way to find pest control companies. Let us know what you learn.

Old 09-28-17, 05:58 AM
B
Thanks so much. Once I find a reputable company and have them inspect and treat, I'll share what I've learned here. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: