Need help figuring out if this is termite damage

Old 11-04-18, 11:21 AM
Need help figuring out if this is termite damage

I've been scouring the internet for photos of hardwood floors with termite damage, but I still can't tell if this is or not. Its just the one board that is spongey, and we havent found any wings or anything. Can anyone take a look and help me out?

Thanks in advance

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-18, 12:05 PM
Any fresh sawdust ?

They usually leave small telltale piles outside of where they're currently working.

Old 11-04-18, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What state are you in? With insect issues, especially wood-destroying types, it is helpful to know that.

My experience is with subterranean termites, not drywood termites and this does not look like subterranean termites.

Is the powder/frass in the flooring wood dust or dried mud? Dig some out and wet it to see if it smears like mud or does it look like wet saw dust.

If it is mud, then it probably is subterranean termites. If wood dust then I suspect carpenter ants or wood-destroying beetles. Carpenter ants produce saw dust that looks like sawdust from a shop; wood-destroying beetles make the wood dust into a talcum like consistency.

Old 11-04-18, 02:32 PM
@vermont No, there is no sawdust in this part of the house. We do have some of that outdoors in a different part of the building. we are trying to figure out if we can take care of that ourselves or if we need to bring in someone to tent.

Old 11-04-18, 02:37 PM
@PAbugman we are in the SF bay area. There is no mud or dust, just brittle chunks of wood. We are wondering if it is water damage.

Old 11-05-18, 10:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Being in California, you guys have drywood termites there. I'm just not that familiar with them and their biology so keep that possibility open.

If you're willing to take a representative sample of the flooring to a county extension agent, you will get objective advice and info. Otherwise, you might have to have someone come in to inspect and ID. Ask around for recommendations of reputable operators. Word of mouth is a good way to find pest control operators. Be wary of getting a sales-driven company.

Keep us posted.