emerald ash borer

Old 05-05-21, 11:32 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: southeast pennsylvania
Posts: 579
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
emerald ash borer

I have 4 large ash trees along the front of my property. In our area here in SE Pa. we have the emerald ash borer that has been killing many ash trees. Three years ago I contacted an arborist who treated the trees to the tune of over $1600 but he hasn't returned my call from 2 months ago yet. Spending $1600 on the trees every three years is not really something that I want to do. Then what happens when that 3 years is up? Another 1600 bucks! I went to the local Agway and bought a product by Bonide that contains imidacloprid that is the ingredient that will kill those pests and that cost $35 and will make way more than enough treatment for my trees. It's concentrated and you mix a few ounces with a gallon of water and pour it on the roots. Now of course hiring another arborist should be the better way to go but my question is has anyone used the over-the-counter treatment? In essence the trees are on the PennDot right-of-way but I know they won't do anything about it.


Old 05-05-21, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 1,896
Received 102 Upvotes on 95 Posts
Good job on the work that you've done so far.

Does the label give a formula for the size of the tree(s) to be treated?
I never tried it, but that is the same active ingredient. Did the arborist also pour it on the ground or did he inject and feed the tree? If he poured it on the ground, I'd suggest that the entire "drip line" be treated, unless the label states otherwise. I'd be tempted to make some holes in the ground by pounding a short length of rebar or equivalent into the ground to make holes, about 4" to 12" deep to collect the imidacloprid. Maybe not necessary, but I'd feel like the liquid will stay on site and go where it's supposed to go better. I wonder if imidacloprid granules would have benefit here, too.

It would be worthwhile to soon talk with the local county agricultural extension agent as they would be familiar with local areas/problems and are a valuable source of objective info. They've helped me in the past.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: