Black beads?

Old 08-14-21, 12:33 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Black beads?

While crawling around in my attic pulling back insulation and looking for termites, i found these black beads. They are hollow and crush easily. Like seed hulls. My first guess would be seeds that an animal brought in, but they were behind the insulation and i dont think anything except an insect would fit.
in an earlier post i requested advice on what turned out to be termites eating my wall paper paste.
These beads were found directly above where the termites are eating the wall paper paste.
i do not see any signs of termites in the attic.
The attached photo is crooked. It needs to be turned a 1/4turn to the left.
The light colored beam on top is the wall stud and should be straight up to our left. The board the beads are on is the top of the first floor wall. To your right is the top of the wall the termites are eating the wallpaper in.
Or, if you follow the board the beads are on, away from the light colored wall stud, the corner where you turn right is the top of the wall above where the termites are.
Any ideas?
As for the termites, they dont seem to like the hardwood my house is made out of. I found them in a corner of a new, softwood door frame and i have stalagtites coming down from my bathroom floor to the dirt crawl space, which are active because they are getting longer.
Looks like they avoided the framing and went for the softer floor.
I am researching and preparing to kill them all.
But i would like to know if

i have something else to worry about in the attic.

Old 08-14-21, 01:49 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Upvotes on 111 Posts
What are the little white pieces? Could they be styrofoam? If so, carpenter ants like to nest and hollow out styrofoam. The black beads, have you looked very closely such as with magnifying glass? Could they be ant body parts which would be round and crushable? Ant body parts are evidence of carpenter ants. If the beads aren't ants, I suspect something from underneath the shingles, maybe? Some type of construction material?

Old 08-15-21, 12:35 PM
X
I assumed the white stuff was sheetrock dust or just dust. I really didn't examine it.
there is no styrofoam in the area. I do have, i forget the name, a styrofoam type product on the ceiling above this photo. It is ribbed sheets that is used in converted attics so you can get more insulation. The ribs allow for air flow between the roof and insulation . But it is pink.
i will take a closer look at both the white stuff and the black beads.
The black beads appeared solid. I have never seen a segment of an ant body ,but i would expect it to have an opening on the ends.
Something Falling through from the outside is possible. Plank sheathing with asphalt shingles. I can see how a small bead like this could get under the shingles and between the planks.
I will use a magnifying glass and maybe i can get a close up of one of the beads, abd i will let you know what i see.
Thanks

Old 08-16-21, 12:18 PM
X
I brushed the stuff onto a paper plate, shined a bright light on it, looked at it through a magnifying glass and took a close up photo.
i now realize they are not all round beads.
I think they are seed hulls and pieces of nut shells.
Only thing i dont understand is, what mammal was able to fit behind the insulation and have a meal?
Do insects carry seeds and nuts into a house?
As long as no one thinks it is from a wood boring insect, i dont care. Mice and squirrels in my attic i can rid of a lot easier than wood boring insects.

Old 08-17-21, 06:08 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Upvotes on 111 Posts
I don't see anything that looks like wood destroying insects in these pics.
The seeds could be rodent/bird related but I doubt insects. Yes, rodents will transport and stash food for later use, like winter time food. Is it possible that a long time ago, someone placed rodenticide in that location? If so, the baits would have been impregnated with seeds and some baits are 100% treated seeds so these could be the remnants. It's a possibility.
Doesn't look like carpenter ant evidence either. I'd consider sweeping it all up, placing snap traps, and monitoring.

Old 08-17-21, 09:41 AM
X
I have used poison bait blocks for mice in the attic over the years.
a few Blocks disappeared. I assumed the mice dragged them away.
so, this is probably the remains of a bait block some mouse dragged there.
Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: