Termites in Door Jamb

Old 08-25-22, 03:54 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Termites in Door Jamb

My house is 15 years old and what I thought was a rotted door jamb as termite damage. A local exterminator came out for an estimate and walked down my entire house. He found the door jamb and another location at the garage door where there was some prior signs but nothing that appeared to be active.
With that said he gave an estimate of $2200 to treat 175 linear ft of garage/patio where he said they would drill a 9/16" hole ~4" off of perimeter walls through concrete to earth every 16" and inject "Termidor" into the holes and another 150 linear feet around the remaining perimeter at grade.
I know know termites are no joke and if there is one spot visible there may be more.... but one door jamb about a foot up and 2" around the garage door noted and nothing any where else....
Is drilling all of the holes through the slab. patio, and sidewalk common practice?
Seems like the bulk of the $2200 would be to drill all of those damn holes... does $2200 seem normal?
Thanks for any help.
FF

Old 08-26-22, 07:40 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Votes on 71 Posts
How long have you lived in this house? I ask because subterranean termites, and that's what this treatment is geared for, will swarm every spring if the colony is mature and the damage you describe indicates it is. If you haven't seen swarming in the springtime, then maybe, maybe, the colony isn't present anymore or at least not active inside the structure.

If I understand correctly, there are 325 linear feet of concrete drilling/treating/patching? If so, then the price is in line with what we were charging before I retired. Is there any soil perimeter? Is the drilling all interior/exterior/both? Is the house on a slab, if I understand correctly? Is Termidor treatment going to be entire interior and exterior of house/garage?

If interior perimeter drilling, be very aware of ducts, wiring, pipes, etc. I thought with Termidor we were trying to get away from drilling up a slab like that. Exterior certainly, interior in the area of activity.

The measurements and chemical choice are very good. Take your time and interview other operators. Consider termite baiting technology with a company that does a lot of it. See if they will consider doing a localised Termidor treatment where the activity is, and bait stations around exterior perimeter. This will also be expensive and require periodic followup service/inspections, but avoids drilling up the slabs so much. Take your time learning, don't get pressured. Try to stay away from companies that send sales reps; rather, talk to companies where the person selling the job will be the one treating the job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: