tree bugs - DIY?

Old 04-22-23, 02:29 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tree bugs - DIY?

My tree has this kind of bug inside the skin. I wonder if what kind of DIY I can do?

Old 04-22-23, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Looks like it might be too late for that tree. But you can apply a tree and shrub protect and feed. There are many brands. Not sure what kind of bug you've got, but that's the first thing I'd try.

Looks like, a soft maple tree... my least favorite tree. You might think about replacing it anyway.

I have a Hackberry tree that would get all bit up and get galls on the leaves. It was so bad 2 years ago that I didn't think it would survive, it was losing its leaves in mid summer they were so bit up. But the next year I used the tree and shrub protect granular before it leafed out in the spring and I didn't see a single gall on any of the leaves. So it must do something bugs don't like!

Old 04-23-23, 06:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I agree, that tree has significant damage. You can treat to kill the insects you see but they are mainly a symptom and not the cause so killing the bugs won't save the tree.

The tree could live for many years to come. But, as it continues to grow it becomes a bigger and more expensive to take down. So, removing it sooner could be less expensive than removing it later. And, you'll have a smaller stump to also remove.

Old 04-23-23, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Weak diseased trees that get big fall on more expensive things. Cars and houses. Soft maples are good at that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: