Carpenter bees getting through siding

Old 05-20-24, 01:07 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carpenter bees getting through siding

I am having an issue with carpenter bees getting through the side of the house with vinyl siding. As it is on the top of the house it is hard to reach and I've tried spraying with foam but it just drips off.

Am I best using a Carpenter Bee trap to lure them out or should I just hire a professional? What will they use?

Temp pic posted by PJmax.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-22-24 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-20-24, 03:31 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 117 Upvotes on 110 Posts
When you say "getting through the side of the house with vinyl siding." does that mean they are getting inside the living areas? Or into wall voids? Carpenter bees would be chewing into wood in order to lay their eggs. Are you seeing wood dust, frass, the yellow staining, etc? They don't chew into vinyl, there must be exposed wood somewhere if it's carpenter bees.

The foam sprays are meant mostly for void treatment or direct treatment into their holes, not so much as a general surface spray.

Old 05-21-24, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
I have found traps to only partially successful. The trap will catch a few but there are always more to bore holes into wood they find.

Old 05-22-24, 03:16 PM
I
Thanks - I took another look and I can see the saw dust on the roof shingles so they must be going through a void as shown. I forgot to attach a picture last time so hopefully it shows below.

I will try a trap until I have someone come round but I need some way of mounting it close by on the siding without having to use a nail. Any ideas of some temporary way I could mount one? I have a window nearby I can lean out of to attach it nearby.

**Picture still not showing but does on preview so have PMed mod**

Last edited by inforr; 05-22-24 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-22-24, 03:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
Visit the Do My Own website. They have products and kits for dealing with carpenter bees.

Old 05-23-24, 06:11 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 117 Upvotes on 110 Posts
I've been surprised at how well the traps work, but there are always more carpenter bees chewing in the wood anyway. The picture is helpful. This looks to be a difficult situation. The back of the fascia board is mostly likely what they are chewing into as it probably isn't covered. Appears to be many void spaces behind it, because of the wooden slats or whatever they are. Once a wooden piece becomes attractive to carpenter bees, they will be back every spring. In the fall, wood peckers will be attracted to it for the larvae, but the siding should stop them, unless the larvae are in those vertical slats that appear to be wood.

I would expect bats to find those void spaces attractive too, unless it gets to hot for them. I'm thinking that a longer term and more permanent solution will be needed here as treatment will be necessary every spring, maybe multiple times. This will be a difficult place to get effective treatment into anyway. After treatment, can those void spaces be sealed/closed? Maybe siding on that part of the house that goes flush with the bottom of fascia so that there is not even a tiny gap they will crawl into every spring.

Old 06-12-24, 03:10 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
As PAbugman said. Many voids and open access, nooks and crannies.

The detailing of the vinyl does not appear good, possibly because of aging. There are plastic mesh fillers which can block insects from planned air spaces - Coravent is biggest brand name.

To keep pests out of a building is not a quick/easy weekend, not when building new and not when repairing. Tiny holes matter because bugs and critters search 24/7 for what they like. Every sq inch of a building gets checked over several times a month, at the very least.

The details of the building, everyplace, are what make up your pest barrier. And your weather barrier. Details, details, details. Every corner, seam, edge, transition. From the pic, the building looks very stylish and pretty (excepting the loose vinyl strips). But it also looks like, depending on how the wall with the battens was constructed, it may offer numerous points of access to pests. The edge of the roof may also be a point of entry - can't tell fr pic how that was assembled.

Expanding foam everywhere won't do it, at least not for long. Many pests go right through foam, even use it for a home. And it can cause problems itself with water entrapment which leads to rot in a few short years.

Most caulk, assuming it's properly applied and sticks well initially will usually dry and crack away from its base in 3-8 years; or the paint it's applied over separates and goes away, leaving a crack. 3-8 years doesn't sound too bad until you consider the amount of work it takes to properly apply caulk - then it sounds Bad.

This will take some care and building knowledge to make better. And possibly a lot of work. When a job passes a certain size, it needs an experienced crew to complete it. Otherwise it just never gets done and/or takes over your whole life. In my experience, the hard part is not determining a plan, nor is it the work. It's finding a crew who believes in and respects their work and has the skills to figure out problems and adapt the needed methods.

The realities of our "buy the fix and slap it on" culture and the economic practices available to and pushed on small businesses make such people rare. Finding them is a matter of prayer, endless searching and luck. When found, PAY THEM. If you guessed right in your choice of professionals, they are worth anything the charge because their work will be as represented and save your every kind of grief over and over, every week, month every year your live in that house. And there will be a better chance they will stand behind their work.

Best luck.
RJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: