Thermostat

Old 10-03-08, 06:47 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermostat

I want to replace an old thermostat with a new one. I have a heat pump with heating and cooling and heat strips. The new thermostat is a Honeywell Mod PRO TH5220D Non Programable.
Its lettering for the heat pump is L E AUX G O/B C Y R Rc
The old one is a GE weatertron from about 1970. I can not figure out how to get the panel loose from the backing which is attached to the wall. I see all the terminal screws and their designations. They are F B G X2 Y W T O R. I have not been able to remove this panel from the back to see what color the wires are or how they are attached
The external unit was repaced in about 1992. It is American standard Mod TWD736B100A0. The internal unit is still the original Weathertron with heat strips.
I would appreciate knowing how to get the old thermostat apart and how to connect the old wires, when I get to them, to the new thermostat.

Old 10-03-08, 01:41 PM
Are you able to post a photo of your thermostat?

Some will have small set screws on the bottom that holds the main thermostat onto the sub-base.

Some have to press on the bottom of the main part.

Some just needs a good graps.

Old 10-03-08, 04:41 PM
R
Thermostat

Jay thanks for the help.
I don't know how to use these threads.
I have photos but it says I can't post an attachment.
When I click on insert image it asks me for the URL.
I don't have a URL just photos in my documents.
I don't see any set screws or any places to pry it out.
I did try to pry it out with my knife blade. I am able to open it slightly on the bottom but not either side or top. I'm not ready to pry the whole thing apart or take the entire box off the wall yet. Need to know I can get the new one installed first.
It does have 2 sets of numbers on it. T91H110M183 and AY28X078. Don't know if either is a model number.
Thanks, Bob

Old 10-03-08, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by robtstef
When I click on insert image it asks me for the URL.
I don't have a URL just photos in my documents.
You need to upload your photo to a photo host site like imageshack.us, yahoo, or something in the like.

AY28X078 is the model #, Of what I am able to find grasp the bottom and should unsnap and hinge upwards. Then on the lower corner a screw that undo the middle section to expose the wires.

Old 10-04-08, 08:12 AM
R
Thermostat

OK Jay. Thanks again.I hope this will open the photos for you. This is all new to me.
I pried out the bottom of the Thermostat with a screwdriver in each side. I got the bottom out OK but the top will not release and I don't think there is a hinge. It feels like maybe some of the screws are holding it in place. Hopefully you will see them in the photo. They are the ones marked with the letters. There is nothing under the heads of the screws so I don't know what they are screwed into. I can't see that far under the piece. I can see up a ways when I pry out the bottom but not far enough up to see what is keeping the top end from releasing.

I don't think the first try of pictures worked.
I changed the URL, maybe this will work.
Thanks a million for helpig,
Bob

Last edited by robtstef; 10-04-08 at 08:27 AM. Reason: change URL
Old 10-04-08, 10:38 AM
Bob,

I am not seeing anything.. Why don't you e-mail me the photo.

jaymarking at gmail dot com

at=@
dot-.

Old 10-04-08, 01:09 PM
R
Thermostat

Thanks JAY,
I sent the photos to your email also the URL where they are located on photobucket.
Hopefully one of the 2 will work this time.
Bob

Old 10-04-08, 04:31 PM
Got your e-mail.....

I don't know what to say!

Are the wires hooked up behind this?

See if anyone else here can chime in.

Old 10-04-08, 06:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Shot in the dark

Have you tried loosening or removing the terminal screws?
Try using a razor blade around the edge of the stat/sub-base. Maybe it's paint holding it to the wall?

Old 10-04-08, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Grady
Have you tried loosening or removing the terminal screws?
Very good point there Grady.... I never thought about that...bet all of those screws are holding it in place..

Bob, if that did do the trick, post the photo just after you take it off.. I am curious how it looks like behind that.

Old 10-04-08, 07:12 PM
What I found was that this stat is a Trane/Am Std manufactured by GE. The AY28X078 is the clue. The Trane Model would have been BAY28X078. Unfortunatly the oldest list on Trane's Comfortsite is BAY28X0138.

Might get the Guys at my local trane try to get a manual.

Weathertrons usually have snap clips on the sub base that hold the merc front. Could be painted to the wall as Grady said.

If all else fails since you are replacing this, remove the screws holding the merc bulbs, remove mercs for recycle and break the thing.

Old 10-05-08, 04:53 PM
R
Thermostat

Thanks, appreciate everyones help. It is not paint holding anything. The unit is actually loose on the wall. I guess all my pulling and prying has pulled out the wall anchors a little.
As I said I was able to lift out the bottom slightly and able to run a screwdriver up both sides but could not get the top to pop out also could not get the bottom and sides open far enough to see if I could find out what is holding.. It feels like I am being held by the 9 screws. See the photo. Also the mercury switches are riveted to the piece that looks like bakelite. Again see the photo. I had all the breakers I could find turned off but I tried to put everything back together cause it got kind of warm and the thermostat doesn't work. I must have ripped loose some kind of connection. I measured the voltage and I have 21-25 volts ac between terminal R to all the other screw heads and also from terminal O to all the other screw heads. But the unit won't turn on.
Tomorrow I will try turning all the breakers off and loosening the screws to see if it gives a little slack. I was hesitant to do this but since it doesn't work anymore guess I can't hurt anything else.
Anyone have any idea as to what those screws might screw into? What I can't get loose is the bakelite piece with the termial screw heads and the mercury switch, loose from the frame it is in. See the photo. As I said I can get the bottom out but not the top.
Thanks, Bob

Old 10-05-08, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Remove the screws

I believe those 9 screws are what's holding the thermostat to the sub-base.

Old 10-06-08, 08:48 AM
R
Thermostat

http://photobucket.com/Bob_Stef
Don't know if this will add the pictures or not. If it doesn't they can be viewed at the URL above.
I did loosen the 9 screws and found they had to be removed. You can not pry the mercury switch assembly out of the frame around it. After removing the screws I found I had broken the part by prying on it .The 3 legs that have the rivits are all 3 broken.
Jay if you see this and don't see the pictures let me know and I will email them to you.
Now I have 2 problems left. I don't see anything broken that would have kept the thermostat from working when I turned it back on yesterday. Also I have no idea which wire on the old goes to where on the new thermostat since the lettering is not the same.
All help appreciated.
Bob

Old 10-06-08, 05:06 PM
Went by Trane today. Even with the access they have, no install manual.

Look at pic #2 on photobucket and hold up the second pic emailed to Jay. That is which wire goes where.

Old 10-06-08, 07:31 PM
Old----(colors)-----new

B------blue---------C
G---white/black---G
X2----white--------E
Y-----yellow-------Y
W----tan?---------Aux
T--- NOT Used anymore, tuck behind wall
O---green---------O
r---red/white------R/Rc

I tried by best to see what color wire you have on the old -stat. but be sure you match the old letters/color to new letter.

Old 10-06-08, 08:28 PM
Jay, gotta love him.

Take what he observed and verify at the indoor unit terminal block.

Jay, even though I have 16 billion colors I could not make out his wire colors.

Kudos to you.

Old 10-06-08, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jarredsdad
Jay, gotta love him.
Thanks!

Jay, even though I have 16 billion colors I could not make out his wire colors..
Are you feeling like this with your PC?

Guess it will be time to update to a Mac!

Old 10-07-08, 12:12 PM
R
Thermostat

Sorry put it in the wrong place.
Bob

http://photobucket.com/Bob_Stef
Jay new photo, new question.
Do you know if my American Std is the 2H/2C or 2H/1C from the new diagram on photobucket?
I thought I had one cool and 2 heat counting the heat strips.
The 2H/1C uses the L terminal in this diagram. Boy the more I find out the dumber I get.
Also any clue as to what I might have done to keep the old thermostat from working last Sunday when I put it back and it wouldn't work? I think I always had all the power off when I was prying with my screwdrivers so I don't think I could have shorted anything? I did not pull the breaker outside or in the closet. I just turned off about 4 breakers in the main electrical panel. I don't see anything on the control panel that I took out that looks like there is any damge.
I will be afraid to try the connections you recommended till I hear back. Is there anything else I can check on and inform you of that will help?
Really great of you guys to help. I thought this would be a simple job it is is sure not turning out that way.
Thanks a million,
Bob

Old 10-07-08, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by robtstef
The 2H/1C uses the L terminal in this diagram. Boy the more I find out the dumber I get.
The L is not used for your system, that is used for something else, so don't worry about it.

Old 10-08-08, 06:21 AM
R
Thermostat

Success!!!!
Thanks to all who had input, especially Jay, who really stuck with me.
I ran through all the installer setup stuff and everything seemed to work.
I can heat and cool.
Guys like that can give you faith in humanity.
Thanks, Bob

Old 10-08-08, 07:30 AM
Glad to hear you are up and running! :-)

Come on back if you have any other questions.

Take care!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: