please help it's frying

Old 11-08-08, 07:15 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
please help it's frying

ok tryed to replace my very old thermostat, to black wire, simple right... well conected the wires to the new therm. and the little resistence arond the thing started to fry, so i try reversing the wires... same thing ??? what is going on,

Old 11-08-08, 07:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
The security alarm forum was the wrong place for this question. I've relocated you to the appropriate forum.

Old 11-08-08, 08:31 PM
Not enough info is given.

You just had one black wire?? On a t-stat you need min. 2 wires..

Old 11-09-08, 08:13 AM
F
ok sorry it has 2 black wire. the old honneyweel thermostat that was on there had those 2 black wire welded on it from the cie. look's like and they just reatached to the one s from the wall...

so as i said either way i put those 2 black wire onto the thermostat it is flying that metal resistance ring ??? thank all for help.

Old 11-09-08, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You may have the wrong kind of thermostat.

As Jay said, you need to give more information. What is written on the old one and the new one. Brand, model, specifications? What type of heat do you have? Electric baseboard? Gas furnace? Boiler?

It's sort of like saying "my car won't start, whats wrong?" Just not enough information to give accurate advice.

Old 11-09-08, 01:21 PM
F
ok so... electric 220 basebord heater, there is nothing on the old ther. except the honneywell brand name, it is a rond dial... the new one is a dial as well but as the mercury thing... with two connections... there is nothing much else ...

Old 11-09-08, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well, if yer smoking it, it sure seems like you may have the wrong type thermostat.
No markings? What about the packaging? Did you get this from a flea market or something?

Thermostats are designed for specific applications. 220VAC, 110 VAC, low voltage, etc etc.

Old 11-09-08, 04:24 PM
S
if that is 220V baseboard you need a line stat,and thats what cooked it.the heat anticipator might of been not set and the amp draw burt it out if it was thin stat it must be low voltage control but watch that anticipator setting.if it was an exact change and low voltage watch it.

Old 11-09-08, 04:58 PM

As the other boys said, You may got the wrong stat!

What is the model of the new t-stat?

Old 11-09-08, 07:40 PM
F
well ok thanks a lot guys... those guys at home depot might as well be selling bras. i'll go back to the store and will know a little bit more. that salesman said that if i had a 2 wire tstat. any 2 wire connection t stat will do... yaaaa right, from what i see is full of shottt for home depot not training there staff.

thanks a bunch, will do my home work.

Old 11-09-08, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by fredodido1 View Post
i'll go back to the store and will know a little bit more. that salesman said that if i had a 2 wire tstat. any 2 wire connection t stat will do.
Did you tell the guy what you had for a system, and/or did he ask you what you had?

There are two wire low voltage system out there, so that is maybe why he said this would work with out knowing what you had, but unfortunately there was a miscommunication on what type of system you do have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: