VisionPro IAQ Running Humidifier Constantly

Old 11-21-08, 01:12 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
VisionPro IAQ Running Humidifier Constantly

I was hoping to use the VisionPro IAQ with my furnace and humidifier combined with the outdoor temp sensor to use the frost protection mode. I'm having no problems controlling the furnace and a/c temperature wise, but now that winter is here when the IAQ deems it's time to activate the humidifier it runs the water constantly, even when the fan and furnace aren't running which leads to wasted water.

I have a Coleman D.E.S. 80 furnace and an Aprilaire 440 humidifier.

I have the frost settings on the humidity page set to '5'.

Here's how I have some of the humidifier settings in the IAQ:

370 - 1
372 - 3
374 - 2 (had it at 0 but either one keeps it on)

Thanks for any help!

Old 11-21-08, 03:00 PM
How do you have this wired to the EIM?

The settings are OK.

Old 11-21-08, 03:36 PM
T
I have a wire run from HUM1 that connects inside the furnace then through a 24VAC transformer(I think) and then goes to the humidifier.

A second wire run from HUM2 connects to a yellow wire that runs internal to the furnace.

I'm a definite amateur here so I apologize if the information is a little sketchy.

Old 11-21-08, 03:44 PM
If you are using a transformer for the humidifier, it seems like it's wired up wrong.

One of wire from the transformer goes to HUM1

one wire from humidifier goes to HUM2. Other wire from humidifier goes right to the transformer .

Old 11-21-08, 04:11 PM
T
Ok, I dug a little more into the wiring when doublechecking HUM1 goes through the transformer. HUM2 goes through a 24 volt electronic relay and then to the humidifier.

What I noticed is when I cut power to the furnace and disconnected the wires from the humidifier to inspect the water still ran through the humidifier, could that point to a bad solenoid in the humidifier, or would that stay open even if power is disconnected?

Old 11-21-08, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by thundercleese View Post
HUM2 goes through a 24 volt electronic relay and then to the humidifier.
Relay? is it this one below?

If you do have this, this is not needed since the IAQ takes care of turning on and off the unit as needed.

What I noticed is when I cut power to the furnace and disconnected the wires from the humidifier to inspect the water still ran through the humidifier, could that point to a bad solenoid in the humidifier, or would that stay open even if power is disconnected?
sounds like the valve is stuck open. There is a spring inside of this, and a plungger. it will close when the power is off.

But go ahead and take it apart to clean it.

Old 11-24-08, 08:31 AM
T
Well, I bypassed the relay and now it's working perfectly.

One last question on the frost protection settings, do I just set the humidity at 35% and adjust the frost protection setting through the winter if I start getting frost on the windows, or do I adjust the humidity setting as well?

Thanks for all your help here!

Old 11-24-08, 12:34 PM
I have mine set at 40%, and frost at 6. I have little wet spot in my windows time to time. But as the temp gets colder, the frost guard will lower the humidity set point (Not seen on screen, set point stays the same)

If you get frost on the windows, then drop the frost down to the next lower number.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: