Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Can I use a heating/cooling thermostat to replace a heat only thermostat?

Old 01-28-09, 11:33 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I need help hooking up a new stat to a Ruud Gas Furnace Silhouette, model #36C03 type 300, and currently have a Honeywell CT87A, and upgrade it to a Lux TX500E, and have 2 wires in my wall. The old thermostat is really old I believe. The new therm is for heating and cooling. But I only have heat. The building does not have a cooling system. Does that matter? Can I still use the new therm anyway?

Old 01-28-09, 12:25 PM
Take the wire that is hooked to the "R" terminal on the 87 and put it on the "R" terminal of the new stat. Put the wire hooked to the "W" terminal from the 87 on the "W" terminal of the new stat and see if it works. It's possible that you may need a common wire for the new stat to work though.

Be sure and power the furnace down before messing with the stat. It is very easy to burn up a transformer or even shock yourself working with live electric.

Old 01-28-09, 05:21 PM
Yes, you can use that stat for your system.. YOu just won't be able to use the "Cool" and Fan "ON" switch.. Just heat and off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: