Replacing Trane Weathertron with Hunter T-Stat

Old 03-01-09, 10:18 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Trane Weathertron with Hunter T-Stat

I'm trying to replace my old Trane Weathertron (BAYSTAT240) t-stat with a hunter model 44155C. The Unit is also a Trane Model TMV024A140A0. Below are my existing wire hook-ups. The hunter units has G, RC, RH, Y/o, W/B, Y1

T-Stat---Wire Color
R--Red
T---Brown
O---Orange
G---Green
Y---Yellow
X2---White
B---Blue
W---White Jumpered from X2

There is also a black wire that is not used.

I read some of the forums that talk about hooking up heat pumps. I don't think I have a heat pump so I haven't been able to follow some of the threads.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-09, 12:33 PM
C
I belive that is a HP thermostat...
Model and Serial Numbers?
Just my opinion but I have replace WAY TO MANY bad Hunter Thermostats.

Not saying your termostat is the problem.. but lets get it straight before moving on...

Old 03-01-09, 12:34 PM
you have a heat pump system with all those wires.

The t-stat you got won't work. i'd suggest the Honeywell T-stat.

What's wrong with the old stat?

Old 03-01-09, 12:45 PM
C
Sorry Jay. ... I know you guys sell these things.. But in the field we hate them... OR I guess you could say they are good for business.

Old 03-01-09, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by cyberdead View Post
Sorry Jay. ... I know you guys sell these things.. But in the field we hate them... OR I guess you could say they are good for business.
Hunters? No, Home Depot does not sell them.. Lowes does.

Old 03-02-09, 06:58 PM
S
I looked at the outside unit and I do indeed have a heat pump. I grew up in NY with a wood stove which was much more simple.

Thanks for the help guys I'll try and exchange this one out for a different t-stat.

FYI nothing wrong with the old one I was just going to switch from the old Mercury switch I have to a digital programmable.

Old 03-02-09, 07:21 PM
If you do get a new t-stat, I would not plan on using the set back program.. Heat pump are best to "Set it and forget it".

What is your back up heat? Gas or electric?

If unsure, give the make and model of the unit inside.

Old 04-03-09, 08:49 AM
D
Question Trane T-stat Brown wire ?

Hello everyone,

I have a Trane TStat for a Heat Pump which we were trying to replace with a standard Heat Pump TStat.

The wires seem all ok and matching except the Brown Wire which is connected on terminal "T" in the TStat.

In the Air handler, ( TWV042B140A0 ) the Brown Wire is also on Terminal "T" ( But it is just a connection point which continues the brown wire out to the Heat Pump. )

The reson that we were changing it out is that the Air Handler Blower Fan runs at all times, no matter what.

We removed the green wire off at the Air Handler and the fan kept running, so we plan to change the Fan Relay as well.

But, with the green wire off, and the TStat turned to System Off and Fan on auto, the green wire still had 24v on it ?

So, we plan to change both the TStat and Fan relay !

When we tried to put standard TStat on, we left the brown wire diconnected and it would run for a minute or so and then blow the 3A fuse.

I have changed out several other heat pump stats before but none had the brown wire or T terminal in use ?

I could tell that it was for the heating side.

A couple of questions:

1) What is the brown wire specifically for ?

2) Can a standard TStat be used somehow or does Trane require a specific t-stat with a specific use of the brown wire ?

or

3) Do they use a different color code in which the brown would be tied to one of the "normal" colors on the standard tstat ?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Old 04-03-09, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by dlamb View Post
But, with the green wire off, and the TStat turned to System Off and Fan on auto, the green wire still had 24v on it ?
The Green wire (G on air handler) shouldn't have any power.

Is G wires by it self on the air handler?

When we tried to put standard TStat on, we left the brown wire diconnected and it would run for a minute or so and then blow the 3A fuse.
Sounds like something is shorting out or wired wrong (See above's about G wire.

1) What is the brown wire specifically for ?
They are for the thermisiter (Letting the system know how cold it's outside, and force the electric heat to come on.

2) Can a standard TStat be used somehow or does Trane require a specific t-stat with a specific use of the brown wire ?
Brown wire is not longer used now days, so that can be taken off the t-stat, and undo it at the air handler.

We may be able to use that brown wire for your back up heat.

At the air handler, what are the letters you have where the t-stat wire hooked up to?

What model of new t-stat are you looking at?

Old 04-04-09, 09:18 PM
D
Hello,

These wire connections are the same that I have.

T-Stat---Wire Color
R--Red
T---Brown
O---Orange
G---Green
Y---Yellow
X2---White
B---Blue

The green wire connects to G on the t-stat and to G in the Air Handler. In the Air Handler, G then connects to the Timing Control Board for the Fan Control Relay.

I agree that the green wire should not have power on it with the TStat in the Off position and the fan on auto.

Thats why I plan to replace the TStat, because the TStat should be killing the power on the green wire , but its not !

I will have to check on the Type of TStat because we decided to try to get one that is specifically a replacement for Trane.

I do think the original one is a Weatertron, I will double check.

I believe the one we were trying to use was a Honeywell from Home Depot?

One question about the Brown wire,

if it is used to bring on the electric heat, are you referring to the Auxillary Heat ?

And, which wire normally brings the Heat Pump on in Heat mode if not the brown ?

On a "normal" TStat for a Heat Pump with Auxillary heat, since Brown is not used any more, isn't it Blue that is used for the reversing valve on the Heat Pump for heat.

So, if it is Blue for Heat Pump heat, then I believe we blew the fuse because red feeds power to the TStat and the new modern TStat send that power out on blue to the reversing valve for heat at the Heat Pump.

But, the blue terminal at the air Handler on this older model is connected to the Blue power tied to the opposite 24v secondary terminal on the Transformer, which would cause a direct short between the red 24v and blue 24v through the "modern TStat when place in Heat.

Thinking out loud, it seems that I would have to disconnect the blue 24v in the Air handler from the blue that was going from the TStat to the Reversing Valve at the Heat Pump.

Then maybe I wouldn't blow the fuse in Heat mode.

Does that sound possible or have you run into that before ?

I will have to see what Tstat we have now and find out which one we plan to install for more details.

Thanks

Dan

Old 04-05-09, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by dlamb View Post
At the air handler, do you have W1- W2, W3?

The green wire connects to G on the t-stat and to G in the Air Handler. In the Air Handler, G then connects to the Timing Control Board for the Fan Control Relay.
That sounds right.

Thats why I plan to replace the TStat, because the TStat should be killing the power on the green wire , but its not !
When you took the reading. I'd would remove the green wire off of G on the t-stat, and take a reading on the t-stat, and on the wire itself to see where the 24 volts is coming from. If you just get a reading on the stat, then it's the stat, and not the board. If you get 24 volts on the green wire from the board, then something is back feeding 24 volts on G.

I will have to check on the Type of TStat because we decided to try to get one that is specifically a replacement for Trane.
All new Trane t-stats is made by Honeywell. the "T" is no longer used/made.

I believe the one we were trying to use was a Honeywell from Home Depot
That one can be used.

if it is used to bring on the electric heat, are you referring to the Auxillary Heat ?
Yes.

And, which wire normally brings the Heat Pump on in Heat mode if not the brown ?
E and/or Aux.

On a "normal" TStat for a Heat Pump with Auxillary heat, since Brown is not used any more, isn't it Blue that is used for the reversing valve on the Heat Pump for heat.
No, Blue is common.. O-Orange is used for the valve.

This how it should be wired.

Old--color------New
R--Red----------R/Rc
T---Brown-not used (may use brown later)
O---Orange-----O/B
G---Green-------G
Y---Yellow--------Y1
X2/W---White------E/Aux (may cjange it later)
B---Blue---------C

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: