Replace Trane Weathertron with Lux TX9100E

Old 05-02-09, 04:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace Trane Weathertron with Lux TX9100E

Amateur looking for help! I am trying to replace my trane weathertron BAYSTAT239A with a new Lux TX9100E.

Here is a photo of the OLD setup:

And here is the new tstat:

Please let me know which wires go where on the new one, and which wires I can tape off.

Thank you very much in advance!

Old 05-03-09, 08:15 AM
Jay will correct if not quite right.

Hook everything the same except.

Jump Rh to Rc.

W and X2 can go together on W1, or W to W1 X to W2.

B from WeatherTron goes to C on new stat.

T can be taped off, you don't need it.

Moving thread to Thermostatic controls.

Old 11-03-10, 04:03 PM
N
I happen to have the exact same old (BAYSTAT239A) and new thermostat(TX9100E) as showtime09. I've tried replacing as mentioned above.

Old Weathertron -> New TX9100E
O -> O
Y -> Y
G -> G
R -> RC

W -> W1
X2 -> W2
B -> C

T -> Taped off

However, when the heat kicks on, it's not turning on the outside/condenser fan. Hot air comes out of the vents in the house, but it must be coming from the auxiliary / emergency heat (aka the second stage).

Did I get a couple of the wires backwards?

Old 11-03-10, 04:49 PM
N
So I tried swapping W1 and W2 as it appeared in the TX9100E manually that these were for stage 1 and stage 2 (respectively) and had some success. If I turned it to Cool, and put the temp lower than the inside temp, the outside fan did kick on. But when I had it on heat, again the aux/emergency heat kicked on. Maybe I need to be a bit more patient.

[Edit] Nevermind - looking at the wiring diagram it would appear that there's a separate wire for the ac unit. I wonder if I need to swap W1 and W2 back to the way they were and also use a jumper between Y and W1?

Old 11-03-10, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Old = New
R = Rh & Rc
W & X2 = W2 (2 wires here)
G = G
Y = Y & W1 (use a jumper wire)
O = O
B = C

Toggle 1 = On

Old 11-03-10, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by nburns View Post
So I tried swapping W1 and W2 as it appeared in the TX9100E manually that these were for stage 1 and stage 2 (respectively) and had some success. If I turned it to Cool, and put the temp lower than the inside temp, the outside fan did kick on. But when I had it on heat, again the aux/emergency heat kicked on. Maybe I need to be a bit more patient.

[Edit] Nevermind - looking at the wiring diagram it would appear that there's a separate wire for the ac unit. I wonder if I need to swap W1 and W2 back to the way they were and also use a jumper between Y and W1?
Take this stat back and get a real stat like Honeywell RTH7500 orRTH7600 that can support your system.

This stat is too basic and will not stage your heat (X2 and W)

Old 11-03-10, 05:51 PM
N
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have another jumper wire - will need to run out tomorrow and pick one up. I'm assuming I can move Y over to W1 for now (given I need heat right now and not a/c) until I hook up the jumper wire?

Old 11-03-10, 06:05 PM
N
Sorry, the unit I purchased said it handles two stage heat pumps. Is that not what I need or is that particular unit (TX9100E) just junk?

Edit - For the honeywell that you mentioned (RTH7600D), I'm assuming I need the following old(weathertron) -> new (honeywell) wiring?:
Y -> Y
T -> Tape off?
R -> RC (jumper wire with R)
W -> Aux
B -> C
X2 -> E
O -> O/B
G -> G

Old 11-03-10, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by nburns View Post
Sorry, the unit I purchased said it handles two stage heat pumps. Is that not what I need or is that particular unit (TX9100E) just junk?
2 stage means-
Compressor= stage 1
Aux heat= stage 2

And you need.
Emg heat= stage 3

So, "3 Heat/1 Cool" is your system.

If you only had X2 and W jumpred together on one wire, then the Lux would of worked. Also, you don't have "Emergency Heat" switch if you need to use the electric heat only.

Edit - For the honeywell that you mentioned (RTH7600D), I'm assuming I need the following old(weathertron) -> new (honeywell) wiring?:
Correct.

Old 11-03-10, 07:00 PM
N
Ahh, that makes sense. I have the honeywell on order. Should be here on Friday and will try again then. Thanks for your help!

Old 11-03-10, 07:07 PM
Glad to help.

If I'd know you were ordering this, I would of suggested the VisonPro TH8320.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: