Trane XV95 and XL16i with Honeywell HZ432 zone control problems

Old 11-08-10, 08:22 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XV95 and XL16i with Honeywell HZ432 zone control problems

Help...we have problems. My installer seems to be in over his head with our set up, although he recommended it...it is not working properly and does not appear to be wired correctly.

We have:

--XV95 Model#TUH2B080A9V3VAB 2 stage variable speed gas furnace
--XL16i Model#4TWX6036C1000A 2 stage air to air heat pump; there are 5 wires + an additional 1 (of 2) going from furnace terminal strip to HP
--Honeywell HZ432 TrueZONE control, with DATS, and dedicated OTS also, 8 wires avail to come off "Equipment", only 6 attached coming off; 2 zones in house, first floor/second floor
--2 TCONT802AS32DA Tstats, each with 8 wires in wall, zone 1-ground floor with OTS attached for outdoor temp readout only.
--AprilAire Model 700 with Digital humidifier control

Can anyone help with providing a correct wiring diagram to get the full potential out of this system? Tstats to Zone control to Furnace terminals and/or to HeatPump terminals? Also, how does the AprilAire humidifier get wired into this whole thing to provide humidity when heating is coming from either HP or Furnace? Thanks very much in advance for any help...we appreciate it!

Old 11-09-10, 08:02 PM
Ok, Hope this will help.

"Equipment" side of zone control.

Zone-----Furnace--------HP
R/Rc--------R-------------R
W1/E-------W1-----------X2
W2---------W2
Y1----------Y/Y2----------Y1
Y2-----------BK-----------Y2
C------------B/C----------B
G------------G
O------------O------------O

Make sure the "BK" jumper is cut on the board.

"Zone" t-stat hook up.

Zone--------t-stat
R------------R/Rc
C------------B
E/W2------X2/W1 (Two jumper together)
Y1----------Y
Y2----------Y2
G------------G
O/B---------O

Make sure "Power" of zone has it's own transformer.

Do you need me to go over the set up menu on the t-stat and the zone control?

Old 11-09-10, 08:03 PM
I"ll get back to you on the humidfier, it's getting late, and I need to get to bed. Will be back wed evening.

Old 11-10-10, 05:22 AM
D
Thank you very much, Jay. Yes, I'd like to go over the set up on stats and zone control. Installer was out yesterday and changed several things, so I need a little time to go over it, compare the changes with your recommendations and then I'd like to get back with you on the wiring. Thanks again!

Old 11-10-10, 05:30 PM
Dont' make the changes, just make notes, and let me know what they have.

Zone Set up.

System type=Heat Pump
Dual Fuel= Yes
Compressor stages= 2
DFuel Ht stage=2
RF= No
Zone installed= 2
Zone t-stat type= wired
Zone # tstat type= HTPUMP
Compressor stage= 2
Duel Fuel stages= 2
Aux heat Enabled= No
Stage2= tstat
Stage3= off
Advanced C0nfig= NO
Save= Yes.

This is the first time I've had to set this up. Let me know if something is not matching here.

Please tell me what the advanced config is showing.

t-stat installer set up menu.

170-12
180-0
200-1
210-1
220-2
230-3
250-2
260-3
270-3
280-1 (if you want night light)

Dipswitch settings on the furnace board.

1-on
2-off
3-off
4-off
5-on
6-on
7-on
8-off

Detail "A" dipswitch (2nd stage delay)
1-on
2-on

Humidistat control

R---
C--- You could piggy back this onto either the furnace or Zone control's "Power"

W/G & Cf should be wired to a transformer that is wired into the furnace's power junciton box. and wire it to EAC wire.

H wired to the humidifier itself.

I am going to ask another member to see if he has done a set up on the zone control before.

Old 11-10-10, 08:06 PM
D
Okay, Jay...thanks for taking on this challenge. It seems my installer made some major changes from the install. I took pictures of all connections before they came yesterday and after they came. And for the most part, they hooked up as you had recommended earlier, but there are a few differences. Check it out and let me know what you think...(remembering that we have a variable speed furnace)

Here's how everything is wired right now:

"Equipment" side of zone control.

Zone-----Furnace--------HP
R/Rc--------R-------------R
W1/E-------W1-----------X2/BK
W2---------W2
Y1----------Y/Y2----------Y1
Y2-----------BK-----------Y2
B (no conn) B/C----------B (I think they forgot to connect common wire to zone, it's hanging unconnected at zone control)
G------------G
O--------------------------O (bypasses furnace board) **differs from your post

The "BK" jumper IS cut on the board.
"R" is also jumpered to "O" on the furnace board **differs from your post

"Zone" t-stat hook up.

Zone--------t-stat
R------------R/Rc
C------------B
W1/E--------X2 (NOT jumpered together with W1) **differs from your post
W2----------W1 **differs from your post
Y1-----------Y
Y2-----------Y2
G------------G
O/B----------O

(Make sure "Power" of zone has it's own transformer.)
Is this essential? I need to follow some wiring to find out for sure if there is a dedicated transformer...will get back on that.

And...as for the humidifier...that has been tricky for my installer, too, and I'll have to diagram what he did in another post...he used a RBM Type 91 Relay as part of the solution...

Thanks again...I really appreciate your help and feedback on this. Let me know what you think about the differences thus far. More also on the settings, later...I'm taking notes on everything and changing NOTHING.
Doug

Old 11-11-10, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by dlong
B (no conn) B/C----------B (I think they forgot to connect common wire to zone, it's hanging unconnected at zone control)
Should be connected, otherwise the stats and outside unit will not be working.

O--------------------------O (bypasses furnace board) **differs from your post

"R" is also jumpered to "O" on the furnace board **differs from your post
It should be tied to the furnace for the blower to run the right speed in HP mode. Guess R and O jumper may be the same but it may affect something else, I don't see this in any of the diagrams. (See note #7 of the furnace wire diagram)

"Zone" t-stat hook up.

W1/E--------X2 (NOT jumpered together with W1) **differs from your post
W2----------W1 **differs from your post
If you had electric heat, the jumpers would not be needed. If it was left like this and you switch to Emrg Heat at the stat, your furnace will not fire up.

(Make sure "Power" of zone has it's own transformer.)
Is this essential? I need to follow some wiring to find out for sure if there is a dedicated transformer...will get back on that.
IF it's getting it from the furnace, it may over load the transformer on the furnace.

And...as for the humidifier...that has been tricky for my installer, too, and I'll have to diagram what he did in another post...he used a RBM Type 91 Relay as part of the solution...
Trying to figure out how he used this relay??? Will wait till I hear back from you.

Old 11-11-10, 04:53 PM
D
Should be connected, otherwise the stats and outside unit will not be working.
The stats and the outside unit are working, though, and it is not connected. ??

It should be tied to the furnace for the blower to run the right speed in HP mode. Guess R and O jumper may be the same but it may affect something else, I don't see this in any of the diagrams. (See note #7 of the furnace wire diagram)
On pg. 7 of the HP Installer's Guide, there is a Field Wiring Diagram for 4TWX6 Models Only and Note A states: "The installer must jumper at the LVTB "R" to "O" That sound right?

If you had electric heat, the jumpers would not be needed. If it was left like this and you switch to Emrg Heat at the stat, your furnace will not fire up.
Pg 18 of the TCONT802 Tstat manual includes "Special Heat Pump Features" and in the Operation in Emergency Heat Mode paragraph, it states The balance point (outside) temp is not used in the Emergency heat mode. When the comfort control is moved to the Emergency heat position, the compressor is locked out. The first stage of heat is whatever is connected to the X2 terminal. The second stage of heat is what is connected to the W1 terminal. Often there is only one source of non-compressor heat and the X2 terminal is jumpered to the W1 terminal So doesn't that mean it will work, since my XV95 gas furnace is the emergency heat and it is 2 stage?

Trying to figure out how he used this relay??? Will wait till I hear back from you.
I'll get back to you on that and also on the Advanced Config of the HZ432...Thanks Jay

Old 11-12-10, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by dlong
The stats and the outside unit are working, though, and it is not connected. ??
Huh? Wonder how it's working if that is not hooked up?

On pg. 7 of the HP Installer's Guide, there is a Field Wiring Diagram for 4TWX6 Models Only and Note A states: "The installer must jumper at the LVTB "R" to "O" That sound right?
The manual I am pulling up is not showing that?

Pg 18 of the TCONT802 Tstat manual includes "Special Heat Pump Features" and in the Operation in Emergency Heat Mode paragraph, it states The balance point (outside) temp is not used in the Emergency heat mode. When the comfort control is moved to the Emergency heat position, the compressor is locked out. The first stage of heat is whatever is connected to the X2 terminal. The second stage of heat is what is connected to the W1 terminal.
If you go to to FIG 15, you'll see the jumper wires on W1 and W2. The X2 and W2 at the stat changes when regular heat mode to Emg heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: