second thermostat

Old 10-06-09, 09:50 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
second thermostat

I live in a two story farm house. The first floor is a walk out basement with family room and the kids bedrooms. I have a wood stove on the main level that heats the entire upstairs during the winter. Since the thermostat is on the main level, I have to turn it way up for it to turn on so the basement gets heat. Otherwise it will be around 55-65 depending on the weather in the basement. Is it possible to add a second thermostat in the basement with a cut/turn off switch so I could use one in the winter and one in the summer.

Thanks

Old 10-06-09, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
What would the second thermostat control? A Heatpump, Gas furnace, fancoil or a wood stove? (I'm not familiar with wood burning heat other than my fireplace)

I've installed a switch and dpdt relays to toggle between 2 stats with gas heat and electric before.

Do we want motorized dampers as well? If so do you have access to your ductwork?

Old 10-06-09, 07:32 PM
F
It would just control the gas furnace when the kids come over.

Old 10-06-09, 08:25 PM
If your basement is that cold, do you have any returns in the area down there?

What is the make/model of the t-stat you have?

Also, if your furnace is oversized, it may not run long enough to warm up the basement as well.. What is the make/model of your furnace, and how large is your home?

Old 10-07-09, 08:39 PM
F
The house is around 3000 sq feet. Hopefully I explained this well enough. With the wood burning stove, I can get the upstairs well above 72, but since the thermostat is upstairs, I would have to put it at 78 or so it will heat up the basement. I have returns both upstairs and downstairs. I'm not sure what year the thermostat. When I had the fan inside the furnace replaced 2 years ago, the guy told me I was at the minimum unit size for my house.

I hope you can make head or tails out of this.

Old 10-07-09, 08:52 PM
Have you tried running the fan in "ON" mode? that may help move the air around in the house.

Also, is the basement stairway an open stairway or is there a door on top of the stairway?

Old 10-08-09, 07:15 PM
F
It is an open stairwell, no doors. I've tried running just the fan, but it still doesn't heat the basement enough for the Kids not to want their down sleeping bags.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: