One day a week, programmable?

Old 11-01-09, 07:20 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One day a week, programmable?

I go to a small country church that is only heated on Sunday morning. Since I live closer than the other members, on cold mornings, I have to drive about 5 miles to the church and turn on the heat about 3 hours before the service. I am looking for a thermostat that can be programmed for one day a week, and be turned off for the remaining 6 days. Everything that I've found can only be programmed to set back the heat for 6 days, not turn it off. We currently have a Honeywell digital thermostat that is connected to the gas/AC central unit. I've considered a electro-mechanical 7-day timer to disable the system on the days that it isn't used, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone knew of a thermostat that handle this situation.

It would also help if I could turn on the AC in the same manner during the summer.

Thanks in advance,
John

Old 11-01-09, 08:16 AM
R
I don't know of a thermostat that will do that. Most will go down to 45deg. I think. You might want to reconsider if the temp gets below freezing for a few days. You don't want to freeze water pipes. Might be a rarity in you location, but there could be that one time.

Old 11-01-09, 05:49 PM
yikes.. Never had anyone asked this. I'd say Honeywell VisionPro TH8110/TH8320 may be the one can let you program it once a week..

You maybe program the Honeywell that you can get in retail stores. You'll have to get the 7 day or 5-1-1, Not the 5-2, It may take a lot of time to program it, but try it.

Example

Mon to Sat. program all schedule the same temps.

Then Sunday, program it to what ever time the first person shows up at Church, then set it back down to when the last person leaves.

The only thing I am unsure is how the "Smart Recovery" is going to work out.

I would not program it any lower than 45 to 50˚ just in case you get a hard freeze (I'm sure it don't happen often down your way) otherwise, be asking for trouble with the water pipes.

Old 11-03-09, 05:09 PM
N
Thanks for the replies. Setting back the temperature to 45 or 50 is not an option. Here in middle Tennessee, we often have temps into the 20's and heating this old church up to 50 all week would bankrupt us before Springtime rolled around. It was built in 1859, with a 15 ft ceiling and lots of windows, but no insulation. We use heat tape on the plumbing and heat lamps in the restrooms to keep things from freezing solid.

If we had a phone line at the church, I would do it remotely with a computer and modem. I work with industrial automation for a living, so I can probably come up with something. It may end up being a programmable logic controller complete with battery backup. I was just looking for something I could get off-the-shelf. Anything to eliminate the cold drive on frosty mornings just to turn on the heat. Did you know that a Honeywell digital thermostat will display no lower than 32F?
I found that out one Sunday morning last year when it was in the teens inside the church. Hopefully someone comes along with a solution.

Thanks again,
John

Old 11-03-09, 05:27 PM
Guess only thing you can do is a timer, and use the basic round t-stat, set it to the temp you want it, and then set the timer to turn on the power at such time, and then turn it off after the last service.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: