Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Determine stages of heating/cooling system to install progrmmable thermostat?

Determine stages of heating/cooling system to install progrmmable thermostat?

Old 01-15-10, 03:29 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Determine stages of heating/cooling system to install progrmmable thermostat?

I have a Haier HR36A1VAR. I tried searching online to see some facts of it, for I have problems installing programmable thermostat.

There are 8 diagrams to match the system I have, but I am so puzzled. The diagrams have 2 to 5 wires different numbers of stage of cooling and heating systems. I don't know which one to use. Although I already installed the thermostat, the heat is still running despite the temperature I set. Something must be wrong with my wiring.

I have totally 7 wires: red, white, green, yellow, orange, brown, and blue. Originally I had Braburn thermostat which was not programmable with timer. All the wires I have from the wall corresponded color-wise to the Braburn alphabetic receptacles, except BLUE wire to C. They were red to R, white to W2, green to G, yellow to Y, orange to O, and brown to B.

The new 7-day programmable thermostat I have now have alphabets of A, RH, W2, RC, G, Y, W1, O, B, and C. So I put white wire from the wall to W2 of the thermostat, red to RC, green to G, yellow to Y, orange to O, brown to B, and blue to C, with the factory jumper wire installed in RH and RC. However, the diagram says that use "'O' or 'B' terminals, never both." Since I have orange and brown wires, I did use both "O" and "B." Isn't brown wire just a GROUND?

The diagram also says to install a customer supplied jumper for Y and W1.

I am totally confused? Can anyone tell me what kind of A/C system I have? Stages of heating ad cooling system? How many wires do I have? How come all different colored coded wires I have counted up to 7, but the diagram only shows wires from 2 to 5?

I read the condenser I have, and it says HEAT PUMP UNIT, so it is heat pump system, not conventional heating/cooling system, right?

Thanks

Old 01-15-10, 06:50 PM
What is the make and model of the new t-stat, and the indoor unit?

You do have a HP unit outside.

Old 01-15-10, 07:52 PM
C
New Thermostat is Lux TX 9100 E. Out door unit reads "heat pump"

Old 01-15-10, 08:01 PM
No, B is NOT ground.. B telling the valve to work in heating. Your system uses O.

Undo the B wire.

Not sure why B was wired up before on the old t-stat.. What was the model # on that.. Also, what is the model# on the indoor unit?

Old 01-16-10, 07:26 AM
C
Jay11J. Thank you so very much for all your replies. It works now, after I disconnected the wire from B. How did you know my system is using O, just curious?

Although the system is figured and the thermostat is working, I still would like to know WHYs, if you could still help me!

Why are there RH and RC terminals? What are they stand for? What's the difference between them? Can the red wire connect to either RH or RC and still work? Why do I need to use a jumper to connect RH and RC?

Why do I need to use a jumper to connect Y and W1?

What's the difference between W1 and W2?

Thanks

Old 01-16-10, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by chueh
Jay11J. Thank you so very much for all your replies. It works now, after I disconnected the wire from B. How did you know my system is using O, just curious?
Looked your unit up, and showed it needs to be wired up to O.

Why are there RH and RC terminals? What are they stand for? What's the difference between them?
Rh and Rc are used for system that may have it's own transformer.

Example, a home has a hot water heat system in the basement, and has an air handler in the attic for cooling, it both as it's own transformer.. So we break away the power from one another by removing jumper.

Rcooling
powers up Y and G.

Rheating powers up W.

Can the red wire connect to either RH or RC and still work? Why do I need to use a jumper to connect RH and RC?
Yes, the jumper is feeding power to both for your system. If you remove the jumper, then you lose power to the other "half" of the t-stat
Why do I need to use a jumper to connect Y and W1?
Your t-stat Y won't fire off on heat mode (heat pump) and a "cheap/easy" way for them to have you add a jumper, where better t-stat like honeywell will.

What's the difference between W1 and W2?
W1 is first stage heating (lower heat output) and W2 is second stage (higher heat output), and these are used on most gas furnace.

Old 01-17-10, 08:35 AM
C
Jay11J. Thank you so much. It's always nice to know the WHYs when I do something, so I understand the reasons behind it. I appreciate your educating me. I feel like a million buck person now

Old 01-17-10, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by chueh
Jay11J. Thank you so much. It's always nice to know the WHYs when I do something, so I understand the reasons behind it. I appreciate your educating me. I feel like a million buck person now
That's why we love him so much.

Old 01-17-10, 07:53 PM
Glad to help out.

If you got the million buck, care to share with me??? :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: