honeywell vision pro thermostat with coal heat

Old 04-13-10, 05:14 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
honeywell vision pro thermostat with coal heat

I have an EFM coal stoker heating my home controlled by a Honeywell T87F thermostat. Last year, I had central air installed, and it was connected to a new Honeywell TH8320U Vision Pro thermostat. The installer removed my original thermostat and since it w
as Summer time, did not connect the red and white wires from the furnace to the new thermostat. The wires from the AC unit to the new thermostat were connected as follows: red to R, black to O/B, yellow to Y, green to G, and blue to C. The ac worked fine all Summer, but as the cool weather came, the installer came back, and disconnected the five wires listed above, and connected the two wires from my stoker as follows: red to R, and white to W.
We went through the Winter OK, but now Summer is coming, and I would like to have both the coal furnace AND the ac unit
controlled by the new thermostat. ( I am not concerned about using the heat pump portion of the AC , as my coal heat is cheaper to run). I am no longer in contact with the installer, and I am handy in working with electricity and electronics. If at all possible, I would greatly appreciate any assistance I can get to connect and program this thermostat. I don't really think I need TWO thermostats in my hallway.

Thanx, lyashins

Last edited by lyashins; 04-13-10 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 08:05 PM
Coal? Didn't think that was around anymore....

Is the A/C on the same furnace or is it on it's own system from the Coal furnace?

And, why did you spend all this money on the HP system when you don't use it?

Old 04-14-10, 06:32 PM
L
Coal Heat

Yes, coal still exists in our neck of the woods. When I built my house in 1989, there was no natural gas service in the development. I therefore opted to install a new EMF coal stoker furnace. This came after some time of researching and analyzing coal, oil, and electric units. I have never regretted putting in my coal fired, hot water baseboard heat and hot domestic water system. The furnace is located in the basement of my modest ranch home, and the newly installed ac unit is in the attic. The only common item I would like to have between the two units is the new thermostat. I decided to include the heat pump into the system because even though I'm using coal heat now, there is the possibility that in the future , the type of heating unit may change, possibly to natural gas, which is now available to me.

Old 04-19-10, 02:27 PM
Where are you out of? I think the last time coal is used for home heating was maybe in the 50's?

The heat pump can be used on mild days where you need to get the chill out of the air.

Do you know if your air handler has back up heat?

Also, sorry for the delay, I was having a hard time getting on before I went on vacation.

Old 04-19-10, 05:24 PM
L
just want coal and ac

I live in Northeastern Pa. ( Wilkes-Barre, Scranton area). Coal is still used here quite a bit for heat.
I remember the installer telling me that there was an electric heating system in the air handler for back-up. The thing I'm trying to explain is that since my coal furnace is on year round for domestic hot water, I am really not concerned right now with the heat pump or electric back-up. I would just like to be able to control the heat and air conditioning using the new thermostat.(Honeywell Vision Pro) I'm sure that it is sophisticated enough to do this.
There is only the matter, I think, of connections and programming. Don't worry about the delay, I just appreciate you trying to help me. Thanx.

Old 04-20-10, 05:13 AM
I'd like to see a photo of your set up. I've never seen a modern set up of this. (if you can do a photo?)

What lights the coal or is there always a bed of hot coal?

Anyway, since you don't plan on using the heat pump side of the system, yes we can wire it up to both system.. FYI, if you go with the heat pump side, then that changes everything.

Boiler two wire.
T-stat---Boiler
R---------R
W1-------W

A/C side.
T-stat------Ah--------A/C
Rc----------R----------R
C-----------C----------C
Y1----------Y----------Y
G-----------G

Make sure you have the power turned off for both unit. Also, remove the small jumper wire between R and Rc.

Installer set up menu.

170-1
180-1
220-2
240-3
280-1

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Old 04-21-10, 06:47 AM
L
Thank you for all the help you are giving me. I don't have any photos of my heating system, but if you go online to EFM (electric furnace man) heating.com, and select the DF-520 Coal Boiler, you will see how the set-up works. The coal ( rice coal) is always lit and a timer kicks the coal feed on periodically to keep the furnace going. The coal is fed VIA a worm drive up from the coal bin (storage room, mine holds 8 ton of coal) and pushes it up into the bottom of the fire pot ( looks li.ke a large kitchen strainer). Air is also forced up through and the coal burns. As the coal becomes ash, it falls off the side into a metal can, which is emptied periodically. The air and coal feeds are independently adjustable for different BTU outputs. My furnace is capable of heating two of my houses. Again I would like to thank you for the info, and if it is not too much trouble, maybe you could tell me what would be involved if I did opt to use the heat pump with my current system. Thanks again.

Old 04-21-10, 08:43 AM
Learned something new! How many BTU do you have yours set up to?

If you wanted to use the Heat Pump, then his how it would be wired.

T-stat------Ah-------HP
R/Rc--------R---------R
O/B---------O---------O
E---low voltage relay
Aux--------W1/W2----? (not sure what brand you have?)
Y------------Y1---------Y
G------------G
C------------C-----------C

Would need a low voltage relay. Relay coil ties to the t-stat, and contact ties to the "T" hook up at the boiler.

Boiler will only come on if you set the t-stat to Emergency heat.

I will not go over the t-stat install setting unless you think you want to do that.

Old 04-23-10, 06:42 AM
L
Honeywell and coal

I have my furnace set up for a coal of approx 75,000 BTU. I can regulate this higher or lower. The air feed is also adjusted to a corresponding value. I really appreciate your help.
My air handler is a ADP (Advanced Distributor Products) model RCME36230S002, and my split system heat pump is a Ducane Model 2HP13L30P-1B.
Next week, I'm going to wire the furnace and AC to the thermostat as per your instructions. There is only one loose end I can see , and that is a black wire that was connected to the O/B on the Thermostat. I am not going to connect that wire up as I think it has something to do with the heat pump, and that terminal is the same as the W where the white wire from the coal furnace will go. Thanks again.

Old 04-23-10, 08:07 PM
Yeah, the O/B won't be used..

When you turn on the A/C, let me know if the air flow is warm/hot, not cooling.

Old 04-26-10, 11:55 AM
L
still warm

I turned on the AC in cool mode after changing the wiring and programming, and the system is putting out heat, not cool air. It is as if the heat pump is working. Another small issue is that the circulating fan comes on with the heat as well as on cool. This isn't really too big of an issue. Also, even though there is no wire in the O/B terminal, the white wire from the furnace is effectively connected there in the W terminal.

Old 04-26-10, 08:39 PM
Ok, The HP wire that would of gone onto O/B at T-stat, put that on Y.

My bad #180 should be set to 0, not 1.

Old 04-27-10, 06:15 AM
L
coal heat

The original wire on the O/B was black do you want me to put both the black and yellow wires on the Y terminal of the thermostat? The fan seems to be OK now with #180 on 0.

Old 04-27-10, 06:26 AM
Yes. Piggy back the black wire with the Y wire.

The 180, my mind was set on air handler having back up heat.

Old 04-27-10, 09:08 AM
L
coal heat

Lad, I think you solved my problems. It seems as if everything is working OK. I won't really be able to tell until it gets warmer outside here (it's currently 50 degrees). I ran the heat up to 70, then cooled it down using the AC to 67, then the heat back up to 70. The system seems to be working fine. You are THE MAN. Let you know if any further problems arise,
Thanks again.

Old 04-27-10, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the update, and glad everything is working out for you.

Have a great week!

Old 04-27-10, 06:24 PM
L
Smile

You too. This is a GREAT site!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: