Honeywell RTH6300B question

Old 06-07-10, 08:31 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell RTH6300B question

Hey y'all,

I have a Honeywell RTH6300B thermostat attched to an evap cooler. I have it set at 84; since it is about 110 out here in AZ these days, having it at 84 means the house heats up to 85, then the AC comes on, cools it back to ~84, shuts off and then, a short while later, it comes back on... rinse. repeat.

My understanding of motors is that turning them on is what consumes the most energy, so I'd like to minimize the number of start ups by getting the AC to cool the house down past 84 at each cycle. So, if it is set at 84, I'd like it to cool the house to 82 before shutting down. Something like that.

Is there a way to do this with my model of thermostat? I read the sticky about the heater coming on too often, and about changing the heat cycles... would this apply to cooling, as well?

Thanks in advance, folks!

Old 06-08-10, 07:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 15 Posts
No, cooling cyces per hour does not appear in the configuration options...
http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/69-1717.pdf

Old 06-09-10, 04:07 AM
S
Aaaaahhh!! Sounds like its time for a new thermostat, then.

Thanks!!

Old 06-10-10, 07:58 PM
Yeah, on retail t-stat there is no CPH settings, just in heat mode

The pro model then yes, there's a setting for it.

Old 06-13-10, 01:06 PM
S
Many thanks. I just happen to have a RTH230B sitting here so I'm going to swap it out today. Yay!

Do I really need to shut off power at the circuit?

Edit: should say 'I'm going to TRY and swap it out today'. Haven't actually researched to ensure it'll work.

Old 06-13-10, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 15 Posts
That RTH230B has cooling CPH listed. (Surprisingly)

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...it/69-1800.pdf

Old 06-13-10, 01:59 PM
S
Yep!

And, unfortunately, it seems that the BTH230B is not compatible with heat pumps which is, apparently, what I have. Got it installed & swapped out and couldn't figure out why it would only blow hot air. Poked around, looked at the t-stat (another 6300B) on the upstairs unit and saw that it was programmed for heat pump action.

Reinstalling el 6300B downstairs now. Boooooooooo!!

Last edited by shalihe74; 06-13-10 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 03:52 PM
S
Alright - I don't get it.

The BTH6300B works perfectly with the system. It is wired as follows:
Terminal Wire
G Green
W Blue
Y Yellow
R Red
Rc Jumpered to R

When I look at the program settings for the unit, I get the following:

Function 1: System Type set to 1 - Heat pump
Function 2: Heat pump changeover valve set to 1 - Heating changeover valve

I researched a little bit yesterday, and it seemed that the Hunter 44260 met my needs. It says it is compatible with heat pumps, and has a 'span' feature that seems to be what I was originally seeking. So, I wire it up:

Green wire -> G terminal
Red wire -> Rc terminal (jumpered to Rh)
Yellow wire -> Y/O terminal
Blue wire -> B/W terminal
Y1 terminal -> not used

Set the 'Fan option' switch on the back to 'HE' and the 'System type' switch to 'HP'. Turn on the system, and... it blows hot air when set to cool.

At this point, I'm quite frustrated. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or how to correct it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Is there a different darn t-stat I need to buy? Gaaaaah!!!

Thanks,
-Shalie

Old 06-14-10, 05:21 PM
Ok, I'm confused what you got..

Do you have a heat pump system or evap cooler??

Give us the make and model # of your indoor and out door unit.

Old 06-14-10, 09:08 PM
S
That makes two of us. I absolutely >know< that I have an evap cooler. Heating unit... ummm...? I assumed heat pump due to the old t-stat being configured for a heat pump.

The only apparent heating/cooling apparati that I have are the swamp coolers on the roofs - one on the west side of the house, one on the east. Both units are Goodman make; one is a PHKJ-0480-1, the other is PHKJ0601F.

The cooler has flexible ducting that leads into the attic and into a largeish (call it 3'x3'x4') unit, and the ductwork leading to my vents all come out of that unit.

Unfortunately, that - and the fact it is 'electric heat' - is the extent of my knowledge. Not sure how helpful that is...

(I have to admit, I'm feeling very 'dumb girlish' right now... which is unusual and unpleasant! No bueno!)

Old 06-15-10, 05:16 AM
Ok, the two Goodman unit is a heat pump system.. So you have another unit on top of the two Goodman that is the evap cooler?

If yes, is that tied to the ductwork from the Goodman system, or is it by itself? Last question, how big is your home? (or area of what each unit is trying to cool/heat)

Don't feel bad. we are here to help.

Old 06-16-10, 09:03 AM
S
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
Ok, the two Goodman unit is a heat pump system.. So you have another unit on top of the two Goodman that is the evap cooler?

If yes, is that tied to the ductwork from the Goodman system, or is it by itself? Last question, how big is your home? (or area of what each unit is trying to cool/heat)

Don't feel bad. we are here to help.
:} Thank you.

The only units on the house are the ones on the roof - the heat pumps. (I am guilty of assuming the people who wrote the original sales listing knew anything - they said 'Evaporative' so I believed them.) Scrounged up the home inspection, and he indicates that both the units are 'central, electric and air cooled'.

The house is about 2400sqft. The first unit is responsible for approximately 1400sqft on one level; the second unit is responsible for 1000sqft across 2 levels.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: