iaq wiring help

Old 07-11-10, 09:18 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
iaq wiring help

Here are my components.

Goodman Furnace / GMVC950704CXa 95% AFUE 2-stage Variable Speed Gas furnace 70k btu
Goodman HP / SSZ140361a Split system heat pump 14 seer 3ton
VisionPro IAQ THM5421C / TH9421C1004
Hermidifier G-100ES Duct mount Humidifier Power flow through

My available furnace contacts are
1 2 R C G W1 W2 Y1 Y2 O DEHUM

HP contacts
R W2 O Y C

EIM Contacts
CONV HP
W1 /O-B
W2 /AUX
W3 /AUX2
Y / Y
Y2 / Y2
G / G
L ?

There is a jumper on R, RC, & RH

Is this right?
EIM----------------- furnace------------------------ HP
R-RC-RH-----------------R---------------------------R
C------------------------C---------------------------C
W1-O/B------------------O--------------------------O
W2-AUX-----------------W1 ------------------------ W2
W3-AUX-----------------W2-------------------------
Y---------------------- Y --------------------------- Y
Y2--------------------- Y2 -------------------------
G------------------------G--------------------------

Thanks in advance
Dave

Old 07-11-10, 10:51 AM
Your heat pump is single stage, so Y2 is not wired up at all.

Other than that, it's wired up right.

Any questions on IAQ's installer set up?

Do you want to wire up the humidifier, and dehumidifier control on your system?

Old 07-11-10, 11:19 AM
D
Yes I would like the iaq to control everything. Are there any dip switches that need to be changed from default on the furnace. This is a new unit.

Thank you,
Dave

Old 07-11-10, 12:40 PM
On the furnace, you want Dipswitch set at.
S3
1-off
2-on
3-on
4-off

S3
5-on
6-on

You need to add a jumper from Y1 to Y2 at the furnace. Also, a jumper from Y to O at the furnace.

Dehumidifier- At the EIM Add a jumper from one of the R's to DHUM1. Then DHUM2 to DHUM at the furnace.

Humidifier- What brand is it? since you said powered unit, I'm guessing the unit has it's own low voltage transformer. If so, the two low voltage wires goes to HUM1 and HUM2. Then plug the unit into an outlet.

Old 07-11-10, 01:18 PM
D
Jay you are my new hero.

The humidifier is Fedders Hermidifier G-100ES, and yes it came with its own transformer and a humidistat that I will not use.

Your instructions are as simple as they can get. It will be less for the tech to do when he comes out for final hook up @70.00 per hr. 5 kids and a mortgage I live check to chek.

I bought this setup with income tax return back in February to replace my three window units and a furnace that was at least 60 years old. I am currently replacing all of the wall stacks along exterior walls with 1" ductboard. I was told interior stacks should be fine.

Is there anything special I should need to know about the IAQ's installer set up?

Old 07-11-10, 02:31 PM
D
Okay you mentioned
S3
1-off
2-on
3-on
4-off

S3
5-on
6-on
On my board pic attached number 5 and 6 are under S4. Do I set these as you mentioned? I have not changed none of these yet.
[IMG][/IMG]

On the EIM am I able to run these wire up into the module like this or will it cause communication errors?. If I can keep them there I will shorten them up to clean up the appearance.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-11-10, 03:57 PM
The humidifier is Fedders Hermidifier G-100ES, and yes it came with its own transformer and a humidistat that I will not use.
I am not able to find the full manual on this.. Is the transformer built inside the unit??

I bought this setup
Did you get this online or from the dealer? Do a Manual-J on this as well?

Is there anything special I should need to know about the IAQ's installer set up?
This is what I suggest. Anything showing "E" should be changed to a number value.
160-0 (I don't advise using program mode on Heat Pump system)
172-2
173-0
174-1
176-2
180-0
190-0
200-1
210-0
220-2
240-2
250-3
280-1
345-2
346-0
350-15 (Can bring up higher if you feel you are not "warm" when it's below 15˚)
360-35
370-1
372-3
374-2
379-1
384-1
540-

Originally Posted by daveyhouse View Post
On my board pic attached number 5 and 6 are under S4. Do I set these as you mentioned?
My bad. It should of said S4, not 3.

On the EIM am I able to run these wire up into the module like this or will it cause communication errors?. If I can keep them there I will shorten them up to clean up the appearance.
Yes, you may leave the wires there.. I have to say, a VERY clean job there!

Old 07-11-10, 04:38 PM
D
I am not able to find the full manual on this
http://www.filtersfast.com/G100-ES-Manual.pdf
Not much of a manual, guess they had to cut cost somewhere.
Is the transformer built inside the unit??
The transformer is separate, so no problems there.

Bought the units from here Desco Energy
They are local to me 10 minutes away.
Do a Manual-J on this as well?
?

I guess I am anal about wire management. Now that I know that they can stay there I will clean that up even more. Like when I build a pc, wire management is key to coolness inside the tower. I hate restrictions of air flow.

Old 07-11-10, 05:24 PM
The transformer is separate, so no problems there.
If the low voltage wire off of that is not "hot", then you can either get power from R or use the transformer.

They are local to me 10 minutes away.
Who's standing by for warranty? Goodman says on their fine print that they will not honor warranty if it was done outside of a pro install.

Manual-J is a load calc program to see what size equipment your home needs. How big and age of your home? Where are you out of?

I guess I am anal about wire management. Now that I know that they can stay there I will clean that up even more. Like when I build a pc, wire management is key to coolness inside the tower. I hate restrictions of air flow.
Keep up the good job!

Old 07-11-10, 06:10 PM
D
If the low voltage wire off of that is not "hot", then you can either get power from R or use the transformer
No it is not hot, should I just keep hooked on 1 and 2 then send jumper from R to 1. OR Use the transformer to complete the circuit on of the leads. Maybe I should the use the second option so there is less load the furnace transformer.

Who's standing by for warranty? Goodman says on their fine print that they will not honor warranty if it was done outside of a pro install.
Near the bottom of the page there more info on Desco's warranty. Desco will be coming out to do the final hookups brazing lines charging system doulble check my work and do the initial startup. Desco Energy

Manual-J is a load calc program to see what size equipment your home needs. How big and age of your home? Where are you out of?
Yes we did. He wanted to know how many windows, doors, sizes, which direction they were facing, number of rooms, size of rooms, type of insulation and where. I pretty much had to draw up a blue print of my 110 year old house for him.

On with the wire management. Now I can put the cover on with no wires showing. I have not installed the humidifier yet maybe next weekend.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a pic of my furnace to date
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a pic of one of my trunks. Guy from Desco said he was impressed with it when he came out Thursday. He said most guys just square them off at the turns. To me that is another air restriction.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-11-10, 07:04 PM
OR Use the transformer to complete the circuit on of the leads. Maybe I should the use the second option so there is less load the furnace transformer.
I would do that.. (That what I did on mine)

Wire the transformer to be "always hot" or you can wire it on your 110v on the furnace.

HUM1 will go to one of the screws on the transformer.

HUM2 will go to one of the wire on the humidifier.

Other wire from Humidifier goes to the other screw on transformer.

Near the bottom of the page there more info on Desco's warranty. Desco will be coming out to do the final hookups brazing lines charging system doulble check my work and do the initial startup.
You found the right company, and seems like they stand by it well too.

On with the wire management. Now I can put the cover on with no wires showing.
Man, you are putting mine to shame! I thought I was anal about the wires! LOL

Here is a pic of my furnace to date
Looks good so far!

Here is a pic of one of my trunks. Guy from Desco said he was impressed with it when he came out Thursday. He said most guys just square them off at the turns. To me that is another air restriction.
Are you sure you not in the HVAC field? Most home owners just throws in 6" flex all over the place.

Old 07-11-10, 07:54 PM
D
Thank you for the compliments now you made my head bigger than it should be.

One more question
On the evaporator there is 2 drain ports one is just slightly higher than the other. Which one is primary and should the secondary be plugged? That is one of the things I have not researched yet. Man now I am getting lazy. I forgot google was my friend.

Old 07-11-10, 08:12 PM
D
Never mind I found this at whirlpools site

Connect secondary drain line connection to the drain pan
(small hole). Route the secondary drain to empty at a location
easily seen, so that any drainage coming from that line would
be noticed. If there is drainage from the secondary drain line,
a problem exists with the primary drain system, which should
be investigated and corrected.
That tells me that the one that is slightly higher is secondary and that I cannot plug it, I need to set up a drain pan for it. If water comes out of it then I know there is problems with primary drain.
The primary I will have directly connected to one of my other drain lines. I will put a small trap and breather just past the trap because it will be a lengthy run.

Old 07-11-10, 08:24 PM
Looked at your photo, I don't see the drain port or the lineset on front of the case?

For homes with basements, I never bother with the 2nd drain, just in the attic or places you don't see the unit itself.

A trap is not needed on gas furnace set up, just on air handler or roof top system. (gas set up, drain is under pressure, where other it's under negative)

When the drain makes the turn down put in a "T" and just put on a cap (don't glue) on top of the "T".

Old 07-11-10, 08:38 PM
D
See, now that even made more sense to me. (all of it) Sorry about the pic the drains were on the other side. (low side) I have about 1/8% fall forward and left for drainage of condensate.
Thanks again Jay

Old 07-11-10, 08:46 PM
Glad to help out!

If anything else, please let me know.. Have a great week.

I am heading up north on Tue, so we won't be back till Friday night.

Old 07-11-10, 09:03 PM
D
Have a safe trip.
They have me working out town this week, but I will taking my laptop with so I can still get on at the motel.
Thanks again for all the help. I will report back when I have it up and running. Probably sometime time next month.

Dave

Old 10-31-10, 11:59 PM
D
I guess I lied when I said I would report back in a month. Well anyway I did have it running the next month. After initial estimates of 4500 to 5500$ I went to Jeremy at Desco said something to him about the prices. He told me to do all I can do and he would come out and give me an estimate himself stating he should be able to get it down to 2000 to 2500$. Any way he came and was surprised and said he would just charge me hourly since everything was done.

I ran all the 110, 220, and low voltage wires. The heat pump was approximately 15' from the furnace and I ran 1" electrical conduit underground to carry the 220volt @8 guage on 30amp breaker inside with disconnect at the pump and low voltage wires and a 4" electrical conduit underground to carry the line set. At the end I poured a 5'x5'x4" concrete pad around the conduits. The only thing left was to braze lines evacuate and charge then flip the breakers.

Till it was done I had a $350 initial start up bill. That is a big difference from the thousands I was fearing. There was only 1 snag, he could not get the the pump to change over to heat. The problem was if I remember was the Y to O jumper. Once that was cut we had heat.

Attached is a pic of the heat pump. Camera was having problems focusing at 1:30 in the morning.

Thanks again for the help Jay.

Dave

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-01-10, 05:08 AM
You got the unit away from the house? Guess this is the first I've seen this done for a home.

Other than that glad you are up and running!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: