Trying to wire IAQ to Burnham RSM/96 oil boiler.

Old 08-16-10, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to wire IAQ to Burnham RSM/96 oil boiler.

I got a vision pro IAQ because I wanted to have the heat pump lockout and switch the the boiler automatically. I think I got the heat pump wired correct (Trane XL15I / 4TEE3F31B1000A Air Handler). I have tried hooking up the furnace but I don't think I did it right. It is a Burnham RSM/96 boiler (2 zones) with domestic hot water.

The heat pump has a 24 volt source and so does the boiler. When I try to hook up the boiler's 24 volt wires the heat pump "cools" with heat. so right now I have all the jumpers between R/Rc/Rh connected.

I replaced the "old thermostat" with the IAQ in the diagram below. I thought a drawing of boiler's 24 volt wiring would be better then a photo in this case.

TIA

Old 08-16-10, 09:13 PM
What area is the HP heating/cooling? I take it the other zone will be heating while the HP does the other?

Where or what area are you using the boiler for?

The stat you are planing on taking out was the HP tied to this before?

Old 08-17-10, 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
What area is the HP heating/cooling? I take it the other zone will be heating while the HP does the other?
The house is a rancher. The HP cools and heats the whole house (main floor ) The boiler is zoned as one for the 3 bedrooms and the other (old thermostat) controls the rest of the house.

Where or what area are you using the boiler for?
Domestic hot water

1 zone is the 3 bedrooms ( which I will leave untouched or might just tie both zones together if the wife isn't happy We like a cool bedroom.)

The other zone is for the rest of the house which is the thermostat I what to replace.

The stat you are planing on taking out was the HP tied to this before?
No it wasn't. We had 2 thermostats last winter. One for the heat pump and one for the boiler. The wife never knew which one to use. So I was trying to make it simpler and while doing that just figured I would use a thermostat that would lockout the heat pump automatically and switch over to the boiler to keep our electric bill lower

Old 08-17-10, 05:21 AM
On the air handler itself, does it has it's own back up heat, and what is it? (Electric or hot water coil?)

Old 08-17-10, 03:07 PM
On the air handler itself, does it has it's own back up heat, and what is it? (Electric or hot water coil?)
Yes it has an electric coil in it. Not sure the size off hand.

Old 08-17-10, 06:47 PM
Ok, this is going to be a bit tricky.

If we wire this up, there's few things can be done.

1- If we wire the boiler to the EIM control, your air handler back up heat will not come on, it will turn on the boiler if the temps falls behind and lock out. The coil will only come on when the system goes into a defrost.

2- Add a relay/switch to switch between the coil and boiler. You'll have to switch the switch over to one of the two you want working.

3- Wire boiler with a relay, and coil to the EIM.. Stage one will be the coil. stage 2 will be the boiler. Down fall is the air handler will be running when the system goes into a lock out.

I am going to ask another member here to see if he can give us some feedback/ideal since I've never had to do this type of set up.

Old 08-17-10, 07:06 PM
Ok, this is going to be a bit tricky.

If we wire this up, there's few things can be done.

1- If we wire the boiler to the EIM control, your air handler back up heat will not come on, it will turn on the boiler if the temps falls behind and lock out. The coil will only come on when the system goes into a defrost.

2- Add a relay/switch to switch between the coil and boiler. You'll have to switch the switch over to one of the two you want working.

3- Wire boiler with a relay, and coil to the EIM.. Stage one will be the coil. stage 2 will be the boiler. Down fall is the air handler will be running when the system goes into a lock out.

I am going to ask another member here to see if he can give us some feedback/ideal since I've never had to do this type of set up.

Thanks for your help!! I didn't mean for this to be so difficult. I thought this thermostat would work without much issue.

Last edited by 6burgh; 08-17-10 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 01:19 PM
Would it be easier to just put the old one back up and let things alone?

Old 08-28-10, 08:40 PM
Shoot, I forgot about this.. :-(

I'll have to hit up the other member again, and see what he has to say.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: